460 Ford Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, I'm having a tremendously difficult time getting this lower steering shaft to come off of the column. I'm replacing the rag joint on my '74 T-Bird, although I can't get this shaft to come off for the life of me. I don't need to hear that I don't need to remove this shaft from the car, yes I do. For my own sanity! Ha... You can see the bolt is still in there, although it's not a hex, and only has two flat sides... Any advice helps, thanks!
Automotive tire Rim Water Gas Snout

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes I figured that bolt would have to be fully removed. I guess a better way of phrasing it would be that I simply can't get the bolt out... As you can see it's got a round head, and I have no idea how to get it out. It's seized in there. Already tried hammering it out, won't budge... Is there a special tool?

·
Registered
935 Posts
Maybe a press like used for ball joints?

If you can cut the head off you may be able to drive it out with a liberal amount of hammering and a center punch.

I hate the idea of an open flame inside of a vehicle when the interior is in place but you may need heat to get it to move but that would be a last resort for me. I don’t think a heat gun would get the metal hot enough but it’s worth a shot before getting out the “hot wrench”.

·
Registered
567 Posts
The bolt is a press fit style, Loosen nut to end of bolt threads but leave it on the bolt and either smack it with a hammer(looking at your pics seems unlikely) or use a C-clamp with a socket that is large enough for the bolt's head to easy slip into. I realize it's a MF'r working under the dash, found it's easier to remove front seat to gain access.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts