460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dusted off the 466 that was siting in the shop for 5-6 years.

So, it's been awhile since I messed with my old BBF, but I bought another project truck and want to freshen her up and drop her in the new project truck. I built the engine about 6-7 years ago and she ran ok, but then I pulled her and she sat in the shop for the last 5+ years. Mud daubers and even a mouse made home inside (I had the intake pulled and the cover came off, at some point).

I got her up on the engine stand and broke her down and found one cylinder that had slight pitting and one KY hyper piston that had the skirt cracked.

I found my old posts and this was the data I had 6+ years ago. With this build I was hoping to have 375-400 hp.

Since I have pitting I am going to clean that up and will probably end up going from 30 over to 60 over. I estimate my old static compression ratio to be about 9.1-9.2:1.

Based on the specs below, which piston could I go with, that would work with my zero decked block and milled heads and give me better compression ratio? I’m hoping to get her up to about 9.5-9.6+

Also, what’s that tallest/best cam that I can go with, with stock valve train?

In short, since I have to go with new pistons, how can I get my old mild build up to 450+ hp, in the most cost effective way?

D1VE block decked .020, balanced, bored .030, stock stroke

KB hypereurtectic (sp?) -15cc pistons. Stick out of block about .002

D3VE heads decked .020, 3 angle valve job on stock valves, intake ports smoothed out, exh ported (by me), .039 thickness head gasket for about .037 quench clearance, stock rockers

~9.15:1 comp ratio

Performer RPM intake

SUM-3501 cam Advertised Duration 276/ 286, Lift .503/ .503 (good for stock valvetrain)

holley 750 dp carb

cheap hedman headers

2.5" exh with "wide open" mufflers

straight up timing set

recurved dizzy

·
Premium Member
8,634 Posts
Dusted off the 466 that was siting in the shop for 5-6 years.

So, it's been awhile since I messed with my old BBF, but I bought another project truck and want to freshen her up and drop her in the new project truck. I built the engine about 6-7 years ago and she ran ok, but then I pulled her and she sat in the shop for the last 5+ years. Mud daubers and even a mouse made home inside (I had the intake pulled and the cover came off, at some point).

I got her up on the engine stand and broke her down and found one cylinder that had slight pitting and one KY hyper piston that had the skirt cracked.

I found my old posts and this was the data I had 6+ years ago. With this build I was hoping to have 375-400 hp.

Since I have pitting I am going to clean that up and will probably end up going from 30 over to 60 over. I estimate my old static compression ratio to be about 9.1-9.2:1.

Based on the specs below, which piston could I go with, that would work with my zero decked block and milled heads and give me better compression ratio? I’m hoping to get her up to about 9.5-9.6+

Also, what’s that tallest/best cam that I can go with, with stock valve train?

In short, since I have to go with new pistons, how can I get my old mild build up to 450+ hp, in the most cost effective way?

D1VE block decked .020, balanced, bored .030, stock stroke

KB hypereurtectic (sp?) -15cc pistons. Stick out of block about .002

D3VE heads decked .020, 3 angle valve job on stock valves, intake ports smoothed out, exh ported (by me), .039 thickness head gasket for about .037 quench clearance, stock rockers

~9.15:1 comp ratio

Performer RPM intake

SUM-3501 cam Advertised Duration 276/ 286, Lift .503/ .503 (good for stock valvetrain)

holley 750 dp carb

cheap hedman headers

2.5" exh with "wide open" mufflers

straight up timing set

recurved dizzy

Sealed power H582CP are fine for your build. The pistons have a short compression height so your block will need to be decked another .015" give or take.

Though I may sound like a broken record... Feel free to copy this crate engine build we do. You will have a potent combo that is pump gas premium friendly. Many folks are looking for a workable combo like you mention.

Link to Face book build album:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.805549016199153.1073741848.213179582102769&type=3

S

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sealed power H582CP are fine for your build. The pistons have a short compression height so your block will need to be decked another .015" give or take.

Though I may sound like a broken record... Feel free to copy this crate engine build we do. You will have a potent combo that is pump gas premium friendly. Many folks are looking for a workable combo like you mention.

Link to Face book build album:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.805549016199153.1073741848.213179582102769&type=3

S
Thanks!

Looks like I have to increase the exhaust valve size??? What should that run me (machine work and new valves)?

·
Premium Member
8,634 Posts
Thanks!

Looks like I have to increase the exhaust valve size??? What should that run me (machine work and new valves)?
Not necessarily. That particular set of heads came from another build I did that was supercharged.

We use 2.11" ferrea intake valves and 1.65" SI exhaust valves. Increasing exhaust valve size is not necessary at this power level.

S

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good to know! I was dreading buying new valves and paying to have them installed.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I do not see where speed-pro makes a 060 over H582 piston. I see they make a flat top H535 060 over, but that would be too high of compression, especially with my milled heads.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do not think going from 030 over to 040 over will get rid of all that pitting. I'm not even sure how it got in there. Being in that round/curved cylinder, I don't think a depth gauge/mic would work for gauging the depth.

·
Premium Member
8,634 Posts
Well, I do not see where speed-pro makes a 060 over H582 piston. I see they make a flat top H535 060 over, but that would be too high of compression, especially with my milled heads.

The H582 CP piston is available in +.060" we use them as needed.

If push comes to shove we can put together an engine kit with everything needed and drop ship.

S

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
The H582 CP piston is available in +.060" we use them as needed.

If push comes to shove we can put together an engine kit with everything needed and drop ship.

S
No pushing or shoving needed. I will call you tomorrow. I meant to call you today, but my cell phone decided to act stupid and piss me off.

On a side note, I tried to cc my heads this evening and I got to 90 cc and gave up. I took a piece of clear pvc and added a hair amount of rtv on the heads and lightly c-clamped the pvc to the heads. I then turned it on it's side and drilled a 1/16" hole at the top. I then used a 10ml syringe and filled it with water. I got to 90 ml (9 refills) and it was not quite full. Yes, the valves and springs were installed, LOL.

I thought these D3VE heads were about 92cc stock. I had these milled 020.

·
Premium Member
8,634 Posts
No pushing or shoving needed. I will call you tomorrow. I meant to call you today, but my cell phone decided to act stupid and piss me off.

On a side note, I tried to cc my heads this evening and I got to 90 cc and gave up. I took a piece of clear pvc and added a hair amount of rtv on the heads and lightly c-clamped the pvc to the heads. I then turned it on it's side and drilled a 1/16" hole at the top. I then used a 10ml syringe and filled it with water. I got to 90 ml (9 refills) and it was not quite full. Yes, the valves and springs were installed, LOL.

I thought these D3VE heads were about 92cc stock. I had these milled 020.

The D3 heads can be 97 to near 100 cc's depending on valve seat depth and type of valves used as well as decking history. The oem valves have a dish in them adding to volume. There is a V in the center of the exhaust side of the heads deck surface. It is typically .105" deep give or take. If you milled .020" then .085" should be the depth of that V.

I can share additional details when you telephone.

S

1 - 10 of 10 Posts