460 Ford Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone I'm new to this forum and have done a lot of reading on here and very impressed with the amount of knowledge that you all have I'm looking for some guidance and a good recipe for my build so here's what I'm working with. The 460 the block casting is D9TE-AB it has dished pistons the casting on them was D3VEAA we measured from flat part to deepest part of dish it measured .236. The engine had the D3 heads but I have a set of D0VE heads I'd like to use if they're good they've been sitting for a while, and as far as the heads I'd be willing to do porting myself ,but would be willing to pay someone to do it too or even buy a new heads if that would be a better way to go. I was thinking about just putting new rings in and having it honed first, but was curious as to what you all thought would be the way to go just keeping it stock bore or going bigger?. As far as compression ratio I'd like to keep it somewhere in the 9s I'd Like to run pump gas so whatever you think would work it doesn't have to be 87octane but like to keep from going above 91octane if possible. As far as horsepower I'd like to get to 400 or better. Oh and I'm going to keep the engine carb instead of switching it to EFI. The engine will be going into a 1988 F350 SW Reg. cab long bed with a ZF 5 speed manual the truck has 4:10 gears and 31 inch tires. So looking for a build recipe and any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi,

As you said, there are lots of good recipes here. 400hp seems like a very easy goal and could likely be achieved with a mild cam, intake, and headers with straight up timing. If you're willing to bump your compression and get new heads then 600hp would be easy as well. I was very happy with a mild cam, intake, and headers (which probably put me around 375hp) in my 86 F-250.

I'll let much more expert members weigh in but your goals seem easily achievable.

Tad

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Tad. My worry with going to a higher c/r is that I wont be able to run pump gas.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply and the info JimL. Maybe I'm being to cautious with the compression ratio. I just don't want to have to hunt for fuel.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi everyone I'm new to this forum and have done a lot of reading on here and very impressed with the amount of knowledge that you all have I'm looking for some guidance and a good recipe for my build so here's what I'm working with. The 460 the block casting is D9TE-AB it has dished pistons the casting on them was D3VEAA we measured from flat part to deepest part of dish it measured .236. The engine had the D3 heads but I have a set of D0VE heads I'd like to use if they're good they've been sitting for a while, and as far as the heads I'd be willing to do porting myself ,but would be willing to pay someone to do it too or even buy a new heads if that would be a better way to go. I was thinking about just putting new rings in and having it honed first, but was curious as to what you all thought would be the way to go just keeping it stock bore or going bigger?. As far as compression ratio I'd like to keep it somewhere in the 9s I'd Like to run pump gas so whatever you think would work it doesn't have to be 87octane but like to keep from going above 91octane if possible. As far as horsepower I'd like to get to 400 or better. Oh and I'm going to keep the engine carb instead of switching it to EFI. The engine will be going into a 1988 F350 SW Reg. cab long bed with a ZF 5 speed manual the truck has 4:10 gears and 31 inch tires. So looking for a build recipe and any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks.
Are you still looking for advice? anybody giving advice would need to know what parts are being used with accurate specs, like how big is the combustion chamber in cc's. If you intend to port any heads you have to or you should at least weigh the cost of that and all other work the head would need vs. getting new heads. also if going with aluminum heads you can go higher compression, probably at least a half a point of dynamic compression which is a good amount. keeping your quench is very very important for efficiency and keeping it knock resistance (it really does work). Roller cams make more power and are better but cost more. is that in the picture? Oh and the best carb especially for the money is the Edelbrock AVS2, those annular boosters really help at part throttle, WOT there is very little difference , but how much time do engines spend at WOT unless racing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts