460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got new wheels on my 65 f100. disk brakes up front and drums in back. There has always been noise from rear drivers side and the wheels has a lot of resistance when trying to spin by hand. I took the drum off today and a few small springs fell out as well as the pice in the picture attached that looks mangled. Can someone tell me what this is? I took all the brake peices out and put wheels back on thinking the other wheels will do fine braking for now. but now i have a very soft pedal and brake fluid all over that tire. need help. I have never rebuilt drum brakes.

Attachments

·
Registered
152 Posts
I finally got new wheels on my 65 f100. disk brakes up front and drums in back. There has always been noise from rear drivers side and the wheels has a lot of resistance when trying to spin by hand. I took the drum off today and a few small springs fell out as well as the pice in the picture attached that looks mangled. Can someone tell me what this is? I took all the brake peices out and put wheels back on thinking the other wheels will do fine braking for now. but now i have a very soft pedal and brake fluid all over that tire. need help. I have never rebuilt drum brakes.
You're right; you'll need help. Ford calls that piece in the photo "link". It's part of the parking brake mechanism. It looks like it will require a replacement part. Try to get someone who's familiar with the brakes to help you or get an image or exploded view of the brakes so you can get everything put back together correctly. If there's fluid on the tire it's likely leaking from the cylinder. Don't drive the vehicle with faulty brakes. Next time when you're unfamiliar with something make photographs before disassembly.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts