460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new here to this forum and joined because I'm redoing my BBF, adding a hydroboost brake system and adding some other updates to Project Responder. I would like to swap out the front leaf springs for a coil spring suspension in order to achieve much better suspension travel for use off road. I've found a couple of shops out on the west coast that look good, but I'm seeking any advise and suggestions I can get before I make it so.

Thanks

·
Registered
733 Posts
I followed the build on Project Responder a long time ago, and have to say it was an excellent build article, and badass truck to boot. You guys didn't leave much of anything undone on that truck.

Anyhow, are you sure that you want to go to coil springs in the front? Leaf springs are a hell of a lot simpler and more reliable setup, and they aren't a super pain in the *** to adjust. For these reasons I'm going with a reverse shackle leaf setup like the one you are currently running to convert my F-250 to 4x4, when I was originally going to do a 70's style coil sprung suspension.

If you are dead set on it, the ultimate suspension would be a 4 link setup in the front with coilovers, which can get pretty pricey. You could also look at a stock suspension setup from either a '79 and older pickup with coil springs, or look at an '05 and up Superduty setup. This member is running the '05 radius arms (these are beefy as hell) on his pickup with a homemade setup:

http://www.460ford.com/forum/showthread.php?t=147249

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dave,

Thank you for your interest in my project. It's always great to hear when someone likes what you've done. The reason for the coils rather than leaves is that the suspension is so stiff, that there is no flex whatsoever and so getting off road is next to impossible. I think a custom four link with coils would be the best way to get the flexiblity since the rear will stay with the leaf springs due to the weight of the truck and the water in the tank.

Michael

·
Registered
324 Posts
Not trying to talk you out of coils as i converted mine over and love it but you could get a set of deaver leaf springs made. Ive seen a good set of leaf springs flex out amazingly well and you wouldnt have to change anything else. But as you know, a good four link and some coils or even better coilovers will ride great and flex out. Its just gonna take some designing and a little overbuilding to handle the weight of the truck and tank.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts