460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what's happening? been lurking for a bit and just got a fresh rebuilt 466 for my bronco for $40. it is a mystery motor, so i am going to tear it down to see what i actually have. my buddy is in a college auto mech program and he got it for me because someone built it in class and never came back to pick it up. it sat there for a few years, so little info is known about it until i tear it down. it has d3 heads and a d1 block. i'll get back with some part #'s and more info once i get it tore down.

so here's my situation: i am looking to make somewhere in the area of 4-475ish hp with torque in mind and still retain street manners. stock stroke 466ci is what i'm sticking with. this motor is going in a 78 bronco that is eventually going to be on one ton axles with 4.56 gears, 40'' tires, and a c-6. i don't care if it idles like two rocks shaking in a tin can, i just need it to make enough vacuum for functional brakes and a redline of 6k rpm. i am very budget minded, so let me know prices if you can on parts for a build that will get me to my goal. i don't have a fortune to spend, but if it is a neseccery part or upgrade i can save for it. please don't ask for a budget, just let me know what i can do or buy to get to my goal. i'm willing to put time into my heads because i'm sticking with the d3's. and also i need some info and options for torque converters. this bronco will be street driven as well as beat to hell in all sorts of situations on and off road. it's not gonna be a mud racer, just more of an all around toy and occasional driver. any help will be appreciated. this is my first build, and i have several very knowledgeable friends that can help me with the small issues i might run into, but i could use a fresh opinion for a tried build idea geared towards torque and reliability.
-thanks in advance.

·
Registered
122 Posts
A while back edelbrock was offering the performer RPM intake on their website for around $135. This is a GREAT deal if they still have it. Probably the perfect intake for what you have in mind.

Also, keep a close watch on the "auction block" section. You will find some very good deals there. That's where I bought my D0VE-C heads, lightly ported intake and vey ported exhaust, for $250. I still had to cut for and install larger valves. By time the heads were complete, I had around $900 in them. Then I see a complete set of aluminum proform? heads for $800 or 850, on the auction block. Aluminum would have been the way to go.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
If you plan on running a 40in tire don't waste your money on 4.56's

·
Registered
177 Posts
Not to be someone who judges but, i you may need to rethink your engine. Bush beater and trail stomper, you will not see 6000 rpm much, and you will want it idling better that two rocks in a tin can cause anything u need to torque into, hell even loading on a trailer u will curse it to hell and back.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
If you plan on running a 40in tire don't waste your money on 4.56's
already have the 4.56's from a previous project. my old truck had a mildly built dove headed 460 ported and polished, cobrajet valves, around 10 to 1 compression. supposedly in the 400hp range. ran that truck with 4.11's and 38's and it was great for the way i play. just want a little more power this go around. and i don't need so low of gears because i have low range for when i really need gear reduction to get my rpm's up, that and 1st and 2nd gears in a c-6 are pretty good for most playing i do.

Not to be someone who judges but, i you may need to rethink your engine. Bush beater and trail stomper, you will not see 6000 rpm much, and you will want it idling better that two rocks in a tin can cause anything u need to torque into, hell even loading on a trailer u will curse it to hell and back.
few things here. i don't trailer vehicles, ever!!!! it may not see 6k rpm all the time, but i want the capability to do so and still have usable power. about the idle, i was just saying i don't care if it is rumpity as long as my brakes still get enough vacuum. my goal here is to have my bronco be an all around blast to drive in any situation. i like to street race the occasional r-tard in a camaro and make them feel bad when they got smoked by a truck on big tires. it's going to be good at a lot of things like mud drags, truck pulls, trail riding, pavement pounding, etc., but not great at any one thing. trying for a decent balance of usability across the board.

i'll load some pics and show you guys what i found when i tore it down yesterday. not what i thought, but still worth $40

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well it turns out it was an el cheapo rebuild. hand honed with a re-ring kit. heads were untouched as far as i know, maybe new valve guide seals and such, but no real signs of machining that i can see. looks like i have a date with a dremal tool and a lot of hours with my heads. motor isn't all the way tore down, because i don't have an engine stand anymore, and i didn't expect to have a 460 in my garage anytime soon, but hey, chit happens. not like i can complain about a decent crank, block, and heads for $40. now some pics:
as i got it

rod casting#

i assume this is the smog hump crap i've heard of

drunken motor flipping. no hoist or stand makes for sore back and arms

timing chain

stock bore pistons

the nice ring landing at the top of the cylinder(i think that's what it's called???)

untouched heads as far as i know

·
Registered
18 Posts
Any updates on your build?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Any updates on your build?
hahaha, nope. ended up selling the bronco and parting out the motor....life happened. might have a new build on the way though. start a new good paying job on monday and got a lead on an engine to pick up and build over winter so i'm back here reading up as i'll be in need of some help after i get it.

right now the plan would still be the same as original post but instead of a bronco it'll probably be going into a 79 f250 4x4 that's stock right now. auto with 4.10 gears. and the heads are either c9ve's or d0ve's. block is 0.040 over and that's about all the info i have on the engine right now. buddy used to work in a machine shop and someone couldn't pay their bill and abandoned the block/heads/rotating assembly after work was done. he's been storing it for a while.

i won't be starting on this build for a few months most likely, but if anyone is bored and wants to toss out some part numbers or options to reach my 475-500hp on 91* or less pump gas goal i'm all ears.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well this idea is sort of scrapped......again.

starting to gather parts for a build i've had stuck in my head for 10 years. guess i'll make a new thread for it to get a more accurate response and keep this for progress once i actually start doing something. the plan is dual carb (mixer in this case) propane fed dove headed 466. something in the 12-1 or so compression range to take advantage of propane's 100-112 octane rating. i'll be picking up one gotpropane kit next weekend and have a lead on another setup and solid mount motor fuel tank for a truck. biggest pita is going to be tracking down a dual quad intake as i really hate the way those dual carb to single adapter plates look.

been coming up empty on 8bbl intakes. looks like the crappy procomp one is gone or sold under a different name now, but it claims it is only for cj and scj style heads.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I read your post, typed "460 dual quad intake" in the search function on this site and there were 2 intakes listed. Your not trying very hard.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I read your post, typed "460 dual quad intake" in the search function on this site and there were 2 intakes listed. Your not trying very hard.
link? i just did that after reading your post and got a list of tech threads and an old classified ad or two from the auction block section. not very familiar with this forum.

are you the same danE from pirate?

·
Registered
516 Posts
When I did the search, it took me to E-Bay and there was a Blue Thunder intake in the auction block for $540 outright or bid on it. I bought a standard port Blue Thunder dual quad, dual plane intake new from FPA for $690 and had it ported. It flowed 260 CFM at .600" lift out of the box, and 315 CFM after porting. There has been a lot of chatter about the Procomp intake, but no results posted that I am aware of. Unfortunately, there is not much to choose from in a low rise, dual quad intake for the 460 Ford.

I know nothing about "pirate".

Why is a tunnel ram no good for your project?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Why is a tunnel ram no good for your project?
for one i'm not looking to rev much more than 5500rpm. this is going into a 4x4 truck or bronco that will be a toy but still see daily driving street use so i'm more concerned with low and mid range than upper rpm power.

i honestly think that the procomp intake will work perfect for my setup even though it sounds like a sub par piece. being that propane is forced through the intake under pressure i don't think the short runner length will really matter, but i guess maybe the same could be said for a tunnel ram's long runners....

another issue would be the mixers and regulators. they have hoses going between the two. i'd damn near have to cut most of my hood out of the way and figure out a goofy looking scoop to make room for that if they were up that high.

i guess basically what i really need to know is what is the physical difference between a cobrajet style intake and a non cobra jet 385 series intake. it seems to me that a cj style intake will physically bolt up to non cj heads but there is a slight port mismatch. i've read that it's a small enough mismatch that you can gasket port match it without much issue, just looking for an opinion from someone who has actually done it before i waste money and time.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I and a lot of other people have put stock CJ intakes on the passenger car heads and noticed an increase. Matching the heads to the intake does not seem to be worth the effort.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts