460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 532ci motor and I'm trying to get it to run better during warmer temps. The engine is in a 79 f150 and it doesn't get driven much. In the winter it run real good except for when I shut it off it has some run on before it kills but not much. In the summer it has terrible run on and almost wont shut off. It has a performer intake with an edelbrock 850 thunder series on top. I have msd ignition and have it timed at about 8 degree on idle with a what I think is a 10 degree limiter bushing. The thing seems like it wants to ping at anything over 10 in the limiter bushing. In temps 30-40 degrees the thing runs great at wide open. In 70 degree weather it will take off decent but decides to stall out during a shift in the auto trans and I have to get out of the throttle to get it to come back. I've tried cooler running plugs which seem to help the run on issue but they come out dark black like it's too rich. I put the normal plugs back in and I can't tell by the color if it's just right or too lean. I'll try and add a pic of the normal plugs. I'm kind of stumped as to why cool temps make it run better. Maybe I need more initial timing and lock the advance out? Any help would be great.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,721 Posts
Type of cylinder heads?
Static c/r?
Cam specs?
Thermostat temp
Heat through intake cross over?
Open air cleaner breathing hot under hood air?

SJ
used 2b RHP

:D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Type of cylinder heads?
Static c/r?
Cam specs?
Thermostat temp
Heat through intake cross over?
Open air cleaner breathing hot under hood air?

D0ve heads
9.5:1
The cam is moderate is what the engine builder said but I dont think I have the specs
Thermostat temp stays at 170 to 190 due to the fan being direct bolted to pulley with no clutch and the hood has a big scoop with a k&n extreme top help get cool air

·
Registered
405 Posts
HI, some things that can cause run on..
idling to fast. Idle should be 650 rpms in N or when in Drive with an automatic.
choke to rich
running to hot
and bad timing set up,
Also your plug looks old, it has rust on it? and oil near the threads from valve cover leaks.. maybe you need a good tune up and proper carb set up..
you say your timing is around 8*.. why around.. does the mark stay put at idle with a light on it or does it move around?? if it moves around the chain is bad.
good luck
tim

1 - 4 of 4 Posts