460 Ford Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a 87F250 it’s got a 460 with electrical issues I just checked alternator and it’s good but I have no ground coming from the alternator or the starter to the frame all I have is the ground from my solinoid to my motor, it’s killing batteries overnight off so my question is should I have separate ground from the alternator and starter to my frame?

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Battery to frame needed and a ground from the starter to the frame isn’t required but it’s a plus. Put a clamp on amp meter on the positive cable and see what it’s drawing with the engine off an no load.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just picked up a 87F250 it’s got a 460 with electrical issues I just checked alternator and it’s good but I have no ground coming from the alternator or the starter to the frame all I have is the ground from my solinoid to my motor, it’s killing batteries overnight off so my question is should I have separate ground from the alternator and starter to my frame?
Battery to frame needed and a ground from the starter to the frame isn’t required but it’s a plus. Put a clamp on amp meter on the positive cable and see what it’s drawing with the engine off an no load.
ok thanks 🙏

·
Registered
148 Posts
In most cases, a poor ground will not force an active battery drain when off. That said, address all your grounds, cables and straps to get those common issues out of the way. Following, I would add to the suggestion for seeking power drain by testing drain amps OFF, then pulling fuses one-at-a-time to see when the drain reduces or stops. If it's on a fused circuit, stuff on that fuse is your suspect. Focus from there.

If there is no effect pulling fuses, the drain is on direct feed, so check your vehicle's wiring diagram to check individual devices for the same effect as when you pulled fuses. Let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In most cases, a poor ground will not force an active battery drain when off. That said, address all your grounds, cables and straps to get those common issues out of the way. Following, I would add to the suggestion for seeking power drain by testing drain amps OFF, then pulling fuses one-at-a-time to see when the drain reduces or stops. If it's on a fused circuit, stuff on that fuse is your suspect. Focus from there.

If there is no effect pulling fuses, the drain is on direct feed, so check your vehicle's wiring diagram to check individual devices for the same effect as when you pulled fuses. Let us know how it goes!
Okay it’s a process I’m working battery out right now ,I’m also trying to get information about pulling my smog pumps out as I’m in a non smog state do I just pull them off and call it done ✔?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay it’s a process I’m working battery out right now ,I’m also trying to get information about pulling my smog pumps out as I’m in a non smog state do I just pull them off and call it done ✔?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts