460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a planned setup i'd like to run im asking you guys what you think about this setup and if you think there are other options that would make my setup work a lil better.

the engine is from a '73 pickup...ill be swapping it into my 86 hatch foxbody. as far as the block ill leave it mostly stock ie- crank and rods. ill be putting some 4.420" flat top alum. pistons with new rings, clevette bearings, new caps and hardware.

for the heads ill be using the factory ones that came with the engine for now, but will be working them pretty good. i have them or do them myself but ill be mildly porting and smoothing them out , giving them 2.200" int valves, 1.760" exh. valves. also ill have both heads decked .025" to increase the CR.

as far as other bolt-ons im looking at a Comp cams 275/285 camshaft, eldelbrock performer rpm int. mani with air gap, 950cfm holley carb, on top of a NO2 wet system plate (going to run 100-125 shot)...and hooker tuned headers[2" primaries, 3.5" collector, 3" pipes all the way back no mufflers]

what do you guys think about it...should i be looking into different parts other than the ones i listed, i know ill need new oil pan/pump and few other things to get the BBf into the stang. as stated in the sig. itll be runnign 3.73s and 26.5"x10.5" slicks that are on the car already
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,225 Posts
http://reincarnation-automotive.com/ Mad Porter, Scotty J's site. There is a small subscription fee, but it is well worth it. You will learn a lot about head porting here. Deck the block not the heads. You will get a better quench at zero deck than decking the heads to get C/R. Forged pistons for sure if you are going to spray it, and I would look into at least I-beam rods, H-beams would be some cheap insurance depending on budget. The crank will have no problems, but get the rotating assembly balanced. 8)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
schmitty said:
http://reincarnation-automotive.com/ Mad Porter, Scotty J's site. There is a small subscription fee, but it is well worth it. You will learn a lot about head porting here. Deck the block not the heads. You will get a better quench at zero deck than decking the heads to get C/R. Forged pistons for sure if you are going to spray it, and I would look into at least I-beam rods, H-beams would be some cheap insurance depending on budget. The crank will have no problems, but get the rotating assembly balanced. 8)
ok thanks so im on the right track as far as the build, other than doing the opposite as far as decking the block not the heads. rods will be nice but with the 4.420" bore should i get stock length rods or???? and yes i was going to have the rot. assembly balanced. i was wondering if i was too on the carb would the 950 be overkill for a mainly street/strip type of driving. could a 750/850 tuned good be better than jus going over board with the 950 or keep that in the plans? and i dont plan on shifting past 5800rpm's.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,225 Posts
Yes on the stock length rods. By the time you resize and put in bolts blah blah, you can buy a good set of Eagles, so definately do the rods. Get the pistons according to what you desire for C/R and make sure you take into account that you are now at 0 deck. Do you intend to run race fuel or just pump gas? There are a lot of guys more familiar with carb, cam, intake than me so I will defer those ? to them. 8)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
schmitty said:
Yes on the stock length rods. By the time you resize and put in bolts blah blah, you can buy a good set of Eagles, so definately do the rods. Get the pistons according to what you desire for C/R and make sure you take into account that you are now at 0 deck. Do you intend to run race fuel or just pump gas? There are a lot of guys more familiar with carb, cam, intake than me so I will defer those ? to them. 8)
mainl on cruise nights just 91 pump gas 93 if the old station back home still has 93 i know alot of people got rid of it. and i havent been home in a year with the army so... but yes at the track and anytime i hit the giggle gas ill be on VP (race fuel) id like my CR to be around 10:1 10.5:1 bein the at most highest to keep for good driving and still be able to produce good numbers... with a good tune will i be around or over 450 fly HP off the bottle?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,225 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,225 Posts
With all of the builders here who share and contribute to our knowledge of the BBF it is hard not to buy from the guys here. Their prices are on par with other builders, and they won't blow smoke up your tailpipe about what you do or do not need. Several guys here will make you a mighty fine shortblock and stand behind it all day long.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
the reason i saked is becasue i do have a very good engine builder but it take him a fair amount of time to get my stuff done, im new here and the price on that 557 is right up my alley if you can name a few guys you would recommend ad they can match this price Id be more than willing to talk to someone from here.

BTW just picked up a set of A460 heads bare $1200, am I getting a good deal?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,225 Posts
#1 start a thread in the Tech section outlining what your goals are.
#2 please stop posting all over the board with the same ?
#3 you will recieve advice from the BEST builders of the BBF
#4 take the advice you recieve as the gospel truth and don't try to be cheap as it will only cost you more in the end. 8)
Your A460 heads with the right cam and induction would make that short block into a pile of useless crap in no time at all.
A good deal is when you get what you want and it works well for you. 8)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
schmitty said:
#1 start a thread in the Tech section outlining what your goals are.
#2 please stop posting all over the board with the same ?
#3 you will recieve advice from the BEST builders of the BBF
#4 take the advice you recieve as the gospel truth and don't try to be cheap as it will only cost you more in the end. 8)
Your A460 heads with the right cam and induction would make that short block into a pile of useless crap in no time at all.
A good deal is when you get what you want and it works well for you. 8)
Schmitty, I admit Im new over here was referred by hardcore50.com
I do get into things and post multiple question for in the past I have posted in one section and never get a response but if i post in a different section i get results, I am like every other blue collar worker and look for a good deal on everything i purchase, Im gonna stick with me engine builder Shawn Mendenhall in torrance Ca, works for CHP/Probe it takes awhile for him to get things done but like he always says it may take some time but itll be done right. these forums are more of a social gathering with knowledge spread out across the board, you just need to weed through it all. I don't understand what you're saying about the shortblock, is that company garbage or seomthing? if you know something about dyno-flow please let me know

 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,225 Posts
I personally cannot say one way or another about them. 8) They may be very good builders like some of our guys here. The problem is the amount of power that can be made with the A heads is more than a cast crank and stock block can withstand. No need to weed through the guys here on this forum. The regular posters are the guys who know these motors inside and out. Enthusiasm is good, and glad to have you here. :lol: We are here to help new guys like you, by relating what does and does not work from hard earned lessons. Post a thread in the Tech section with your goals, and there will be people who will give you honest advice.
#1 Looks like a fox body. What do you want it to do?
#2 Tell us what you have already.
#3 You will get a recipe that works, do go and argue with them if they say you need something, it will be necessary, not optional.
#4 There are the best BBF builders in the world on THIS SITE, they will be the ones answering your questions. Although there are several people around the country who can build these specific motors, none have the experience of the guys here, and all of them would be glad to build you a short block or complete motor at an affordable price according to what is needed. Good luck and God bless.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top