460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am Building a 460 Powered bracket race car. What I am trying to do is build a Bottom end with the highest compression possible and make it capable of spinning up to the 7,000 RPM range. Basically the questions I have are how to do this using the stock crankshaft, I am already prepaired to buy new pistons and rods and have any machining done neccessary but I have heard the factory crank is pretty strong and I am not worried about building more cubic inches. I havent decided if I am going to use the super cobra jet or the edelbrock heads yet but Im sure that will have an effect on what piston I need to get. I really apreciate any information on this topic as I am a master technician but I have never built a bottom end for racing before. Thank you in advance

The car is a Fox body mustang with a C6 trans gutted and caged and the goal is to put the car into the Low 11 second range so I am not always the 1st to leave the line in my class

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh yeah, I would like to run this engine on alcohol and from information I have gotten at my local track you need at least 13:1 compression to get the full gains from methanol

·
Premium Member
9,344 Posts
Choose the SCJ heads bowl work will give you excellent low and mid lift flow numbers that the E heads can not even begin to touch...

Pair I am doing for my 10.8 to 1 460 flow 380 @ 700", 370 @ .600" etc...

:D

·
Registered
5,319 Posts
Getting a Fox Mustang into the low 11's should be quite easy using a 460 on methanol. Compression ratio doesn't have to be all that high to make methanol effective. Even running it in a 6:1 compression flathead engine can work just fine. It's a torque builder that will help your ET even if it makes the same or less horsepower than gasoline.

Shannon Littrell's 1962 Ford pickup ran 6.60's at the bash with a home ported DOVE headed 460 with flat top pistons and a Ron's Toilet. We dyno tested the engine and it made 585 horsepower at 6000rpm so with the SCJ or Edelbrock heads you'll be better than that quite easily.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts