460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a set of c9's, exhaust port, about the size of a pencil eraser. Whats the best way to attempt to fix it? Braze, weld, or what? Guy at the welding supply say's he has some cast rods for stuff like this, but you have to use a d.c. rig to burn them. I have access to one, what's ya'lls opinion as I've never welded on a head!, have welded some cast stoves and a block or two but never a head! Thanks Ralph:eek:

·
Registered
10,854 Posts
Start over ... on another head.

·
Registered
5,676 Posts
Start over ... on another head.
Yup, I'll have to agree with Randy on this one. I've broken through on exactly 2 heads in my (early) porting "career", cried a little and left them for the "Man, I won't ever do THAT again" pile. That being said, I've seen one head pass through my shop that had an exaust port broken through and they had brazed it....."sucessfully ?!"
The cast being thin where you broke through, IMHO, is going to be problematic, if not imposible, to arc weld......maybe if you can get to the water jacket side you can epoxy it????? Or fill it and call it a Drag Race Only head????
Rob

·
Registered
74 Posts
In my experience of welding cast is it will crack right next to your weld if you dont have it properly prepd for welding to do it right you need to heat the whole head so that when welded on you dont cause heat cracks that being said if mine i would start over with new head.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I don't know where you live, but automotive parts and machine here in Frederick Md. can fix it. Dave has a furnace he heats the casting in and welds it while it's red hot. It's a permanent fix. Randy.

·
Registered
10,854 Posts
I don't know where you live, but automotive parts and machine here in Frederick Md. can fix it. Dave has a furnace he heats the casting in and welds it while it's red hot. It's a permanent fix. Randy.
AND, how much will it cost...?
AND, is it guaranteed to get your money back if it doesn't work...?

If the head is NOT a "one of a kind" or "greatly modified CLASS RACING head" then it simply isn't worth it.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guy's I made a few phone calls and found another c9 for 40 bucks. I'm not gonna chance a motor over a head. Just thought you guy's knew of a easy fix. It was a productive call because he also has a 70 Lincoln DOVE headed motor complete for 250 bucks, I'm going to pick them up tonight because someone else is interested. Thanks again. Ralph:D

·
Registered
5,676 Posts
Thanks guy's I made a few phone calls and found another c9 for 40 bucks. I'm not gonna chance a motor over a head. Just thought you guy's knew of a easy fix. It was a productive call because he also has a 70 Lincoln DOVE headed motor complete for 250 bucks, I'm going to pick them up tonight because someone else is interested. Thanks again. Ralph:D
D0VE's.....there ya go........
Rob

·
Registered
190 Posts
I agree, if it's just a basic c9 head, just replace it. I was only saying, Dave can fix it. If you had a ported head with a lot of time in it, it's an option. I don't know the cost, but I know people who have had it done and had no trouble. Randy.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I agree, if it's just a basic c9 head, just replace it. I was only saying, Dave can fix it. If you had a ported head with a lot of time in it, it's an option. I don't know the cost, but I know people who have had it done and had no trouble. Randy.
Yea, it was the last port on the head so I had some time in it but thats the way it goes, I guess it could be worse. The casting is screwed anyway so I might play with it just to see if I can either do something with it, or let it PISS me off one more time. I don't know, I've done a bunch of them, just a little difference in the casting I suppose. I've gone deeper on others without hitting it. Oh well Thanks again for the replies!!:)

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
It would'nt make a difference to mismatch anything from a c8 thru a D0ve.Basicly the same head. imo

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It would'nt make a difference to mismatch anything from a c8 thru a D0ve.Basicly the same head. imo
Yea I know, but its kinda like wearing one red sock and one white one, they're both socks, but........... I lucked up and found another one so I still have a matching pair, plus picked up a set of doves from the same guy. Thanks guy's Ralph

1 - 15 of 15 Posts