460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
holley black copy loosing psi and not pumping ?

its the pro comp 14 psi pump, same as the holley black. hey guys i have had this problem for a few weeks, i don't have the car drivable but just by starting it, it will hold 6 psi then a few minutes later it will loose psi and quit pumping ? the filter before the pump will be full and the filter before the carb will still have some fuel in it. the pump had a small leak so i put a new gasket on it and thought i had fixed it but it still has a small leak ? i am running out of options and need some fresh ideas. i do have another spring and relief valve i could put in it ! any ideas.....

·
Premium Member
5,231 Posts
New or used pump? I had a Holley Red a few years ago that just started leaking out of every orifice there was no fixing it with over the shelf stuff they discontinued the major rebuild kits for them so I had to replace it. It performed flawlessly for 7 years before that though.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
New or used pump? I had a Holley Red a few years ago that just started leaking out of every orifice there was no fixing it with over the shelf stuff they discontinued the major rebuild kits for them so I had to replace it. It performed flawlessly for 7 years before that though.
brand new ! i can hook it up outside the car from a gas can to another and it will prime and pump fine ! couldn't check the pressure though ? this is driving me nuts....... the fuel line and regulator is new ! it held 6 psi fine then just lost it like it ran out of fuel, but i had just put 3 gallons of 93 in it !

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would guess your problem is procomp related.....

how did i know someone would say that ? seriously i have rebuilt holley's before and it's identical. i don't think its the pump ? i unhooked the fuel line before the regulator and it wont pump ? i'm thinking its fuel line, filter or tank related..... i just had the tank out before the pressure dropped checking things and everything looked good i have a 3/8 brake line going down to the bottom of the tank with a rubber hose hooked to the end to pick up fuel from the bottom of the sump ! i guess i will try blowing the lines out with my air hose to see if they got clogged ?

·
Premium Member
808 Posts
Considering you are not using much pressure and this is a pretty mild setup... Try this.

Go to the autoparts store, and get about 20' of 3/8" rubber tubing. Won't cost diddly squat. Hook it up directly from your pump upto your reg/carb setup and see what you get.

There are only a few things that will keep a pump like that from working... One is it is junk inside, two is it has a block.... If you can pull it out of the car and it works fine, I would say it is in the fuel line, however why would it pump then stop... unless it is creating some sort of a back pressure.

Long story short... Start with the simplest trial and error and move forward.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Considering you are not using much pressure and this is a pretty mild setup... Try this.

Go to the autoparts store, and get about 20' of 3/8" rubber tubing. Won't cost diddly squat. Hook it up directly from your pump upto your reg/carb setup and see what you get.

There are only a few things that will keep a pump like that from working... One is it is junk inside, two is it has a block.... If you can pull it out of the car and it works fine, I would say it is in the fuel line, however why would it pump then stop... unless it is creating some sort of a back pressure.

Long story short... Start with the simplest trial and error and move forward.

cale thanks, yeah it is something simple i know ! the fuel system is new from the tank to the carb, i'll blow back through to the tank to see if it unclogs it. if not i'll try the new line !

·
Premium Member
808 Posts
Also... you might look at running a fuel filter before the pump and after the pump... If you have anything clogging it... it would be super safe!

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
wow ...the edit police must be out this morning ? Is Pro-Comp a new site sponsor ?

G-

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also... you might look at running a fuel filter before the pump and after the pump... If you have anything clogging it... it would be super safe!

i do have a clear plastic 3/8 filter in between the tank and pump, it is pretty nasty thats why i had to drop the tank, it had bad gas in it so we pumped all the old gas out and started with fresh. i have new filters to put back in it also !

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You said you had the tank out. Make sure you didn't kink the vent hose.Little things like that can drive you to drink.
Russ
yes i think its something little i'm over looking. I'll check the vent tube when i can get back to working on it !

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Sounds to me like the old "marble in the gas tank" trick. Are you sure that there is nothing in the tank rolling around?

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sounds to me like the old "marble in the gas tank" trick. Are you sure that there is nothing in the tank rolling around?
the tank was pretty nasty, but i didn't see anything big enough down in the center sump to clog a line up. i'm going to blow back into the gas tank when i get a chance to work on it again.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
It doesn't take near as much "crud" as you think to plug a fuel line.

·
Registered
5,676 Posts
I built a 69 Cutlass for a friend years back and we had a problem with it running out of fuel at the carb, long story short, the pick-up in the tank had this nylon "sock" on it (I guess to wick all the fuel from the tank when it was low) and it was collapsing. We fixed it with a pre-filter that fit on the end of the pick-up tube that was a higher flow item for a Vette. It looked like a hair curler! Still, like Critter said, it sounds like something is coming up against the pick-up tube or you used live rubber for your extender and it is swollen or collapsed.
Rob

·
Premium Member
5,231 Posts
There should be a filter screen in the inlet side of the pump that even a little rust will clog quickly had it happen on an 84 F-250 I had with rust in the tank. The tank was practically new but had been sitting for a few years. With this being my work truck at the time what I did was buy a large clear plastic fuel filter and a universal magnet that was same length as the filter I zip tied the magnet to the filter and it stopped the problem. I replaced the filter once a month until I stopped getting rust in it and ran fine for over a year until the kingpins locked up.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
i do have a clear plastic 3/8 filter in between the tank and pump, it is pretty nasty thats why i had to drop the tank, it had bad gas in it so we pumped all the old gas out and started with fresh. i have new filters to put back in it also !
If that is one of those paper filters it will cause way to much restriction on the suction side of the pump. They are generally only meant for the pressure side. A filter before the pump must be something like 100 micron and very free flowing.

dkp

·
Registered
631 Posts
Not another ProComp thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If that is one of those paper filters it will cause way to much restriction on the suction side of the pump. They are generally only meant for the pressure side. A filter before the pump must be something like 100 micron and very free flowing.

dkp
ok i did buy a 3/8 metal filter i wonder if its any better !

1 - 20 of 26 Posts