460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Anyone running this on a stroker? I'm putting together a 545 with the parts and advise from Scotty J, I ordered one of tese systems for it and the only thing the Holley site says is that it needs to be supplied with 60Lbs constant fuel pressure and a return line. My stock pick up has a 3/8" O.D. supply line size which means the I.D. is more like 5/16".

I would like to run the Aeromotive phantom 200 but the tank in the car has a seam around the verticle perimeter that I believe will not allow it to work due to the O.D of the in tank pump mounting ring. Holley has a couple "kits" that may or may not work.

Looking for suggestions from those who modified their system, what you used to modify your tank for supply and the company/companies that the parts came from. Going to call Holley as well though I'm not so sure i'm going to get someone truely knowledgeable....

I do have a new tank so mods to it will be relatively easy.
Thanks in advance.

Dan

·
Registered
39 Posts
What is the power goal of the motor?

The Phantom 200 is only 200lph and rated at 600hp. The 200lph is likely the rating at more like 40psi and will probably not deliver 600hp of fuel at 60 psi. Seems too small, suggest the 340. Lean is bad.

The stock 5/16 fuel line can be used as the return, and a new 3/8 supply line added. These line sizes have supported big power.

·
Registered
70 Posts
A couple of things to keep in mind. An EFI tank requires a sump to keep the pump pickup submerged at all times. Rattle snakes makes a good point, use a bigger pump in case your power level grows in the future. In all of the research I’ve done too small of a return line can cause issues but I’m setting up my fuel system to be able to use a carb or EFI.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
HP around 600-625 with the build and custom cam, I like the idea of using the existing fuel line for the return, I think I found my solution, Beans diesel makes a single sump for diesel pick up trucks that bolts to the bottom of the tank and supplies pumps like the air dog and Fass systems.

I had an air Dog system on one of my trucks. The Beans sump is a simple install and I can attach the supply line to the bottom of the tank and eliminate allot of issues with pumps that are better at feeding fuel than lifting it.

Diamond T Enterprises has a really nice fuel sump as well, spendy though and I think overkill for what I'm doing. The Aeromotive system won't work in my tank due to the stamped seam and structure of the car where the tank is mounted.

First pic is the tank and how it sits in the car, second and third pics are of the top of the tank, that seam is the issue with the top mount systems like the phantom, fourth is the bottom and allows more than enough room for the sump and the 1-1/2" hole that needs to be drilled.

Dan

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
I looked at an external sump system like the Beans Diesel but on my Galaxie (‘64) the placement of the tank makes it not very conducive to using an external pump.

One other suggestion is if you know anyone with a smoke machine (like used when checking for intake manifold leaks) use it after you install the sump but before you put any liquid in the tank.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The beans sump is interesting. How do you plan to plumb the return? If through the 2nd port on the sump, it will aerate the fuel when level is low. You need a 340 pump and it will move 340lph-ish at all times so a lot of flow and turbulence in tank. Maybe you can use the stock tank outlet as return if it's farther away.

I installed a fuel pickup kit in my diesel that deleted the heater/loopback valve and extended the return far away from the pickup sock.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As suggested above I'm going to use the existing factory supply as the return, I'm going to cut the new sending units draw straw short so it returns fuel near the top of the tank away from the sump in the bottom.

Take a look at the link below, the sump kit from them is one that I considered, it addresses the airation issues especially for diesel. I chose not to use it because I can use the stock line for return.

I'm using the Beans micro sump kit which has a single feed and I only need to drill a 1-1/2" hole for it and if I remember correctly it is 3" in diameter which will clear the seam that is on the tank.

https://diamondtenterprises.net/c-322872-fuel-tank-sump-kit.html

·
Registered
39 Posts
Ok was looking at the wrong sump model.
I still wouldn't cut the 'draw straw' short as that too will aerate when level is low, you want the return at tank floor away from pickup, wherever that is for your setup.
Anyhow, good luck with build.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The sniper is a nice piece of kit, I was curious to see if it fit under a drop base air cleaner, I had an old one laying around and their are no clearance issues I can see, I aslo like that it has throttle return springs built onto it, makes for a cleaner install though all the wires make for some planning how to run them cleanly/neatly....very much looking forward to running this car when done

Dan

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts