460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Look what was wriggling across my new building floor - I thought these jokers like forested areas with lots of leaf litter. My place is sandy soil and grass. I'm DAMN sure gonna be careful about reaching behind shelving. I was expecting a rattlesnake, copperhead or moccasin - but not a coral snake.

When my wife told me there was a coral snake I thought she was trying to get me back for scaring her with a frog, spider, skunk - you get the idea. After a short discussion on what the old rhyme was I decided on a new interpretation of "red on yellow.."

Ken's version - All striped snakes die. If you want to look like a Coral snake - you gotta take it like a Coral snake

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I'm glad that I live far enough north that we don't have to deal with things like that.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Wow - Thats the fist coral snake I have ever seen. I have never seen a king snake eithee, I would never know them apart. But I googled it

""Red and yellow, kill a fellow; red and black, friendly jack"

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
bruno said:
my boxster was killed by a coral snake ---about 6 months ago --- was bit in my back yard !!!!
In the last couple of months, I've had 2 of my dogs bitten by 6' timber rattlers. Bugsy was torn up pretty badly, but lived. Petie died. Going back to my garage now means strapping on a Smith & Wesson .357 full of ratshot.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Guys

I am scared to death of snakes, if I even see a "garter" snake I scream and run like a little girl. I know it sounds ridiculous but I just can't help it. :oops: :roll:

Last year I was at a buddies helping his son change a tranny. while I was under the car a big assed Bull snake came slithering around the corner into the garage I near pissed my self.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Snakes

While riding my bicycle 2 weeks ago I came across a 3 foot python in the middle of the road, it was getting some sun and got run over. Someones pet must have gotten loose this is rockford mi I doubt it would have survived the winter. Gregg

·
Registered
47 Posts
scardy cats ( snakes )

you guys are something else. when I was young my uncles use to take
me out and made catch all kinds of things. I have a pet ball python it will only get 5 ft at the most. Im trying to get part of garage fixed up to start
a reptile rescue. I have 2 boys 9 & 12 they took some pieces of metal
off my old barn and laid them down in our pine trees and gardener snakes will get under them, the boys will go out and look under them and catch the snakes, mom doesnt like but they always show dad.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Re: scardy cats ( snakes )

dwally said:
the boys will go out and look under them and catch the snakes, mom doesnt like but they always show dad.
My nephew would do that and fill his pockets, more than once my mom found snakes in the clothes hamper and washing machine. :shock:

She used to make him stand outside and empty his pockets before coming in the house. :D

I like watching them on TV and looking at them at the Zoo but I don't want nothing to do with them when they are in person. :oops:

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Re: scardy cats ( snakes )

dwally said:
you guys are something else. when I was young my uncles use to take
me out and made catch all kinds of things. I have a pet ball python it will only get 5 ft at the most. Im trying to get part of garage fixed up to start
a reptile rescue. I have 2 boys 9 & 12 they took some pieces of metal
off my old barn and laid them down in our pine trees and gardener snakes will get under them, the boys will go out and look under them and catch the snakes, mom doesnt like but they always show dad.

Garter snakes are one thing......6' Timber rattlers that kill my dogs are something else again. About an hour ago, while doing some yard work, my wife stirred up another rattler......12 rattles and a button. My friends Mr.Smith and Mr. Wesson pounded its head into the dirt. You're too late to rescue this one.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I like snakes too. If you've got a deadly snake in your house and are too afraid to try to bag it up and take it out for release, I guess it's fine by me to kill it. Or if there's a lot of them around and you like to eat them and you hunt responsibly, I have no objections. I am a bit disturbed by people who go out of their way to kill animals just to kill them though.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
yep, if it's for legitimate safety reasons, no probs... unless it's some threatened/endangered species and then extra effort should be made to capture it live and release it further away.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I live inside the city limits. My neighbors are all very close by. Yes, they have children. Yes, I have spent $1250 at the veterinarian's office in the last four weeks......to save one of my dogs after a snakebite....and a failed attempt to save another.

If they're in my yard, you may safely place them on the threatened/endangered species list.

I'm with Jon.......They make nice boots.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
In my book the only good snake is a dead snake...sorry Scott, if they tresspass here and get past the pitbull ,i'll take em out :wink:

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
56tbird said:
In my book the only good snake is a dead snake...sorry Scott, if they tresspass here and get past the pitbull ,i'll take em out :wink:
I'm with Dan. X2 :!:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts