460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I started to pull the A/C setup from my Cougar... (Yes, I have a NON A/C heater box/controls to put back, no hack here).

The compressor, condensor, brackets and hoses.. all weighed 95 lbs.

Not counting the underdash stuff, or firewall stuff :shock:

·
Registered
823 Posts
Sweet deal man. I removed all the underhood AC stuff from my Galaxie. I gotta see about changing heater boxes and such though, as the firewall is cut out differently. May need to do some patch work to finish it up.

Anyhow, kudos to you on the nice work and weight reduction. I had no idea that all teh AC stuff weighed so much.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cadunkle said:
Sweet deal man. I removed all the underhood AC stuff from my Galaxie. I gotta see about changing heater boxes and such though, as the firewall is cut out differently. May need to do some patch work to finish it up.

Anyhow, kudos to you on the nice work and weight reduction. I had no idea that all teh AC stuff weighed so much.
Yah the firewall is different on the Cougar as well.. I'm going to make, basically a patch of flat sheet metal that bolts where the original a/c box goes... and bolt the nona/c box that that now-flat firewall.

·
Registered
276 Posts
psquare75 said:
cadunkle said:

Yah the firewall is different on the Cougar as well.. I'm going to make, basically a patch of flat sheet metal that bolts where the original a/c box goes... and bolt the nona/c box that that now-flat firewall.
I did that once on a Torino. You need to check the air box door, the way it moves. I could not use a "flat" piece for a cover as the door needed room to operate, so I made a box to cover the hole. You can see it in this pic.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Odd.. The non A/C setup I'm swapping in... has a totally flat firewall.

My non A/C setup looks like this.

Flat panel, with two holes for a heater hose, and a *BOLTON dome to cover the fan motor... No doors outside in the engine bay.

What year Torino was that?

·
Registered
276 Posts
psquare75 said:
Odd.. The non A/C setup I'm swapping in... has a totally flat firewall.

My non A/C setup looks like this.

Flat panel, with two holes for a heater hose, and a *BOLTON dome to cover the fan motor... No doors outside in the engine bay.

What year Torino was that?
Mine was a `73.

click

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
It's amazing how much components weigh on some of the earlier Fords. I new that the hood on a '70 Ranchero I had probably weighed a good amount, but the fact that it was around 100 lbs suprised me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts