460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Home improvement fellas..Going to build a fire pit next weekend here at the house. I am planning on using sand in the bottom. Covered with lava rock. I want to use retaining wall stones for a perimeter. BUT the stones I want to use do not have any way of aligning themselves, grooves, notches etc etc.. I need to find an adhesive (liquid nails type stuff) that I can basically glue the stones together. ..but it also needs to be fire resistant obviously.

Here is a picture of the pit a friend just built. My plan is to do the same thing but with stones that look less manufactured.. and they have no holes for alignment pins, all that stuff.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
You may want to be carefull with the cement blocks or rocks, they will explode if they get too hot. Something fire rated would be safer.

Bill

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Didnt think about that.. I may have to change the materials.. Any ideas on the adhesive?

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
You must have moved to close to Fancy Chris . I would be willing to bet you used a 50 gallon drum when you lived in west KY :D

I don't see why you could not use brick morter and line it with fire brick on the inside.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
You must have moved to close to Fancy Chris . I would be willing to bet you used a 50 gallon drum when you lived in west KY :D

I don't see why you could not use brick morter and line it with fire brick on the inside.
X2 I think the morter would be good for holding it. I know lots of folks use brick and block, but I have seen them explode, its not pretty!!:eek:

Bill

·
Registered
555 Posts
X2 I think the morter would be good for holding it. I know lots of folks use brick and block, but I have seen them explode, its not pretty!!:eek:

Bill
yep.....I have too......regular bricks WILL explode if heated too high........fire brick is the way to go!

·
Registered
123 Posts
you could mud them together, or you can drill top and bottom of block and fit them with a short piece of rebar, or any steel stud to prevent them from moving around and they wont break from heat unless you feed it tons of diesel fuel hope this helps

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
you could mud them together, or you can drill top and bottom of block and fit them with a short piece of rebar, or any steel stud to prevent them from moving around and they wont break from heat unless you feed it tons of diesel fuel hope this helps
How do you know that feeding tons of diesel into a fire will break the blocks?:rolleyes::p

·
Registered
123 Posts
made a concrete,split faced blockfire pit...... You know split faced is right? as for the little 3x3 opening in the front and the chimney, the whole thing is subjected to extreme heat. been up 5 yrs now burned and burnt any and everything . only a couple of joints cracked and thats from the freeze and thaw.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
You may want to be carefull with the cement blocks or rocks, they will explode if they get too hot. Something fire rated would be safer.

Bill
I've been there scared the **** out of when they went. Now I have a iron ring from a manhole and I put the rocks around that.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts

I have 2 of those drums. One for the shop, and one for the house. I shoot holes in 'em with the 9mm so they can breathe. :cool: Throw 'em away and get a new one when they rust down to about 2 feet tall. :D

If I want a pretty fire, we just pile stuff up and let it go. :eek:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts