460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figured that if I could make my own mufflers I could make my own little ignition box. I have a duraspark dizzy, HEI module, TFI coil and a relay to provide good power to the coil/module. I followed the instructions on this link -> http://www.bronco.com/cms/node/25

I attached the HEI module to a heatsink out of an old computer. I figured since I was in the computer scrap pile I would see what else I could adapt. I took a power supply and removed the internals and used the case. It all fits in pretty good. It may not look the best with the cover off, but with it on it cleans up pretty well (I will remove the sticker later, maybe replace it with 'Kosler Ignition Products' sticker). It will be mounted to the firewall or somewhere with 2 tek screws. Then all I have to do is solder the wires to the battery, dizzy and ignition switch and hook up the coil wire. Everything is soldered and labeled. Just so you know, I did hook everything up first and made sure it worked. It may not look it, but if one of the componets goes out it really won't be too hard to replace. Man I wish I could do this for a living, no telling what I would come up with.

stephen

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
That's pretty neat!

Good job. I run the HEI module on our 84 T-Bird 5.0 with a blaster 2 coil.

I wasn't aware they are compatable with the TFI coil.

230 Posts
COOL

BUY 2 MUFFLERS GET A FREE IGNITION SYSTEM FROM KOSLER INDUSTRIES... WHAT MODULE IS THAT ? DONT ANSWER I FIGURED IT OUT... I DID THE SAME THING ABOUT 20 YEARS AGO ON A THUNDERBIRD I COULD NOT SEEM TO MAKE THE FORD IGNITION WORK ...

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
GM HEI module out of a late 70's 350 camaro

the link above shows all the details. I triple checked all the info to make sure it was legit.

Next thing is homemade cal-trac traction bars.

·
Premium Member
3,225 Posts
YOUR CRAZY! Hey you asked for it. LOL You are officially a redneck professor now.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
where i'm from we call it Bohemian Engineering. There ain't much we can't fix with a little baling twine and duct tape Central Texas is full of us Bohunks- Czechs.

S Panem Bohem!

·
Premium Member
3,225 Posts
skosler said:
where i'm from we call it Bohemian Engineering. There ain't much we can't fix with a little baling twine and duct tape Central Texas is full of us Bohunks- Czechs.

S Panem Bohem!
Got me some Molzer in my heritage, very Bohemian. LOL Grandad loved polka music.

·
Registered
512 Posts
About 10 years ago, My boss got into racing go-karts. We started building everything. Frames, engines, billet carbs, brake calipers, etc. We even built a dyno for these things. Anyway, we built our own ignitions using HEI modules and put them on the B&S engines and they worked great!

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I like tinkering with stuff, so it was fun. I was planning on doing this upgrade, but when I got all the parts together I couldn't figure out how to neatly mount them in the engine compartment, so I decided to put them all in one box. I am happy with it. I got it mounted and temp. wired and it works great. Actually I think it is a good idea. One box that neatly houses the coil, module and relay for proper power requirements. Does anyone make a setup like this? I would have bought one if the partshouse carried something like this.

·
Registered
10,854 Posts
The ignition system I used in the Engine Masters for the last 4 years is based on the HEI.
MSD offers a gorilla 25 amp inductive module for only the GM distributors but, it doesn't work with the "in distributor" coils offered for the normal HEI so, without the special MSD HEI cap you must use an external coil.

Using that combined with a MSD "Stacker", (which MSD doesn't offer anymore but, the concept is still available from Pertronix as what they call a "Second Strike" unit), I put together a combination "inductive/capacitive discharge" ignition which the guys at MSD affectionately dubbed the "Mini 10" after it was tested.

None of the magazine photos seem to show that ignition set-up. I'll have to take some of my own pictures but, someone would need to post them for me as I can only send them through e-mail with this antiquated computor.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I maybe wrong here cause it's been so long since I had an HEI module in my hand. I think the metal side of the HEI module should be facing heat sink with a layer of thermal electric grease. Also curious to see how the High voltage and low voltage reacts being in same metal enclosure.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
"Also curious to see how the High voltage and low voltage reacts being in same metal enclosure."

-I have been running it fro the last few days and it works great.

The metal side is against the heat sink and I did use the goop.

·
Registered
5,319 Posts
I think it'll work just fine. The HEI module must have been designed to handle at least some heat since it was technically bolted to the engine from the factory. Mounting it to a heat sink away from engine heat should go a long way toward making it even more reliable than it already is, most of the time...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts