460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I know it looks like I'm a noob, but I've actually been on this site for many years, I had to start fresh with a new account.

So I wanted to see what you guys thought I might be getting out of this 460 that I have in my bronco. I put this motor in my bronco 10+ years ago, tinkered with it a little here and there, but life got in the way and I had to put it on the back burner.

I got this motor from a guy up in Michigan along with a ton of other crap. It was in pieces and was missing a bunch of parts. The PO had the heads, crank and block cleaned up, but left everything sitting for a while. I don't know if he did any head porting or not.

Back in 04/05 when I was dealing with this motor, I didn't do a whole lot of research and I really didn't know exactly what I had. If I was paying attention, I would have dealt with the exhaust port on these D3VE heads, but I didn't. I left them in stock form.

I've just recently got this thing dialed in. I had a fuel problem (pick up in the gas tank) and that was throwing everything off. I got that taken care of and my carb (E-brock 750) rebuilt. This thing runs great now. I can't believe the grunt and power it has (I'm used to the old 351M). I know this thing isn't pushing 500 hp, but maybe close to 400. Let me know what you think. Here are the specs:

Block = D1VE (1971 Lincoln)
Cylinder bore = .030
Heads = D3VE A2A (machined for rocker studs, decked due to slight warpage)
Pistons = flat top
Intake manifold = Edelbrock performer
Carb = Edelbrock 750
Timing chain = straight up
Timing = 14* initial/38* total
Cam = Crane 353901X (I suck at understanding Cam specs) intake 487/Exh 516 - duration = 260 on intake/272 on exhaust
Rocker arm ratio = 1.71 (roller rockers)
Exhaust = Chassis exit headers to 2.25" straight pipe through flowmasters

The machine shop told me they had to shave the heads down due to some warpage and that I would need to run race gas because the compression was going to be too high to run regular pump gas. Now this was 15 years ago, so my memory is a little foggy on what exactly he told me the compression would be, but I want to say 11.0:1.
So far, I love this motor, it's the first motor I have ever built, so hearing it run like this is very satisfying, but I would really like to get some kind of a good idea of my power numbers.
Thanks for reading my long, drawn out post.

·
Premium Member
8,665 Posts
Assuming your pistons are at 0 deck your static c/r even with 91 cc chambers is less than 10 to 1.

38 degrees total timing is usually a bit high for a BBF with flat tops even with the pistons below deck.

The crane cam is very short duration. 204 / 216 @ .050"

With headers and no exhaust port work figure 360 HP.

SJ
used 2b RHP

:D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Assuming your pistons are at 0 deck your static c/r even with 91 cc chambers is less than 10 to 1.

38 degrees total timing is usually a bit high for a BBF with flat tops even with the pistons below deck.

The crane cam is very short duration. 204 / 216 @ .050"

With headers and no exhaust port work figure 360 HP.

SJ
used 2b RHP

Okay, that's not bad. Any thoughts on torque?
I set the timing at 14 and 38 because that's what the Crane Cams spec sheet recommended. The timing might be a little different now, as I've screwed with it a few times over the years, but it seems to run pretty good wherever it's at now.

·
Premium Member
8,665 Posts
Okay, that's not bad. Any thoughts on torque?
I set the timing at 14 and 38 because that's what the Crane Cams spec sheet recommended. The timing might be a little different now, as I've screwed with it a few times over the years, but it seems to run pretty good wherever it's at now.
500 tq give or take.
Repeated dyno testing and in car trap shows that 34 to 36 degrees TT seems to work best.

Low static c/r and pistons significantly below deck as well as domed pistons can require more TT.

SJ
used 2b RHP

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
500 tq give or take.
Repeated dyno testing and in car trap shows that 34 to 36 degrees TT seems to work best.

Low static c/r and pistons significantly below deck as well as domed pistons can require more TT.

SJ
used 2b RHP

That's what I was hoping to hear (read). I figured it should be right around 500lbft with that combination. That's definitely better than that old stock 351M.

Thanks Scott.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts