460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys I need some help I have an old International tractor/backhoe that I have a problem with. Its a 4 ccyl gas job. The longer I run it the hotter the coil gets till it starts to miss and when I shut it off it wont start till the coil cools down or I replace it with another one. Any idea why it does this and what can I do to remedy it. Thanks Tore :roll:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Was it a 6 volt system that has been switched over to 12 volts??? If is has been changed over you may need to install a ballast resistor in the ignition wiring to drop it back to about 7 volts.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Ballast Resistor?

If the heat getting to the coil is not coming from the engine it is probably coming from too much current. A ballast resistor might solve your problem.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Re: Ballast Resistor?

Maulerman said:
If the heat getting to the coil is not coming from the engine it is probably coming from too much current. A ballast resistor might solve your problem.
Start there. I would look at the Ballast resistor for about a 78 Dodge truck.. worked well on a couple tractors Ive worked on. Ended up adding a hotter coil on a few, Ive even used those big Accel Super coils with the resistor. Makes the tractor start ALOT easier.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is a 12 volt system from the factory. On those ballast resistors do you wire them in series on the hot side of the coil? I have never had to deal with a ballast resistor before. Thanks Tore

·
Registered
436 Posts
if it didnt have a ballest resistor from the factory dont put one on it if it runs it wouldnt run very well , sounds like your coil is bad did the oil leak out? also see what shape the points are in.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am wondering if this unit had some resistor wire built into the harness. I had to rewire some of it because the insulation was so bad on the wires and I replaced it with copper wire. A buddy of mine tossed this at me. Tore

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
resistor..

A long time ago, I accidently replaced my factory resistor wire to the coil with a regular wire. It was on a 69 XL with a 390. The coil didn't care at all, but the points burned to a crisp in a couple of days. I also had a coil on a 66 Galaxie that left a couple of drops of oil on the manifold, which I ignored. It reminded me later when it left me walking. :oops:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts