460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I am in the early planning stages of my motor combo...

As a little background, the car will be a daily driverable showcar, I want to keep a/c, power steering, etc. It will probably be an almost full weight 73 lincoln with aluminum wheels and heads im guessing, probably around 4800 lbs worst case

Id like to get it in the 5-600 horsepower range yet still keep it streetable and lower rpm on the freeway

its got the c6 trans also

Im guessing id like to start with a solid production block, dont have to use the one in my car either, so any recommendations will be fine

A big cube stroker motor will probably be the most desirable for me as i need the torque to get this pig moving.

Id like to do a 545ci, weiand stealth intake, holley 750 with vacuum secondaries and electronic choke. dove-c, or my d3 heads, ported? compression ratio? wanna stay with 93 octane at the most. what do you recommend, and fairly streetable cam, electronic non points ignition, and keep it around 5000-5500 max rpms. obviously balanced higher, but i dont plan on ever taking the car that high. its also gotta get pumped thru a 2.75 axle and a c6 trans

Any advice you could give a Ford newbie?

·
Registered
69 Posts
From the research ive done (mostly on here!) I would sugest a 1979 and up block (casting # D9TE) for a 545. The D9 block is said to have a longer bore (less piston pulling out of the bore at bottom dead centre) than other blocks.

As for compression ratio, cam, and heads there are other more knowledgeable members here that will probably chime in.

My advice would be to have a plan and stick to it before you buy any parts. If possible buy your parts from a board member (or other trusted source). It will be easier to get any questions answered or issues resolved that way.

You may also get more replies if you post questions of this nature in the "engine tech" section, as "engine buildups" is intended for finished engines with either dyno or drag strip #'s.

Good luck with your build and have fun!

·
Registered
10,854 Posts
Unless you intend to put a hood scoop on that Lincoln to clear with a Stealth manifold, you will need a "Torquer II".
Your D3VE heads won't get you there with the smallish camshaft you'll need to run, (unless you intend to have a high stall speed converter in that Lincoln); I'd suggest some big combustion chamber Edelbrock's.
Use a PERTRONIX "Igniter II" ignition in your stock distributor replacing the points and get it curved correctly.

The D9 block is a good idea with a 545...!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Unless you intend to put a hood scoop on that Lincoln to clear with a Stealth manifold, you will need a "Torquer II".
Your D3VE heads won't get you there with the smallish camshaft you'll need to run, (unless you intend to have a high stall speed converter in that Lincoln); I'd suggest some big combustion chamber Edelbrock's.
Use a PERTRONIX "Igniter II" ignition in your stock distributor replacing the points and get it curved correctly.

The D9 block is a good idea with a 545...!

Well
How is your Lincoln tuning going?

Regards from Iceland.

Anton Ólafsson

my Lincoln
http://www.ba.is/is/gallery/bilar_felagsmanna/anton_olafsson/

1 - 4 of 4 Posts