460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
It seems like most of these magazine builds something is wrong in the parts selected that makes the engine perform below it's true potential, Lem and others have pointed out a number of times how camshafts that were selected are far below optimal in 385 builds often resulting in the appearance that the brand X is a better platform, that being said where did "camaro rod" magazine short change this engine?

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
where did "camaro rod" magazine short change this engine?
The main "problems" are that it's a small block, the heads are no better than mildly ported factory iron big block heads, and the compression is too low for the combination.

I'd like to know the weight difference between that motor & a comparable HP 385 series.
For reference, I just scaled the engine pictured below (with cast iron water pump), and it came in at 530 pounds. D0VE-A block, cast crank, alum heads. Anyone have an accurate weight on the 351W with a Boss block, 460 rotating assy, and alum heads? Google would suggest about 485?

Attachments

·
Registered
804 Posts
For reference, I just scaled the engine pictured below (with cast iron water pump), and it came in at 530 pounds. D0VE-A block, cast crank, alum heads. Anyone have an accurate weight on the 351W with a Boss block, 460 rotating assy, and alum heads? Google would suggest about 485?

Shoot Carl if that 485 lb Google number is close I'll definitely change my mind about building a small block for my 68 Torino!

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
Shoot Carl if that 485 lb Google number is close I'll definitely change my mind about building a small block for my 68 Torino!
Google says 510-525 for a 351W. I subtracted some for alum heads and added some for the 4-bolt Boss block and stroker crank.

To be fair, many of the parts in my 514 were selected with lower weight in mind. Other sources would suggest average BBF weight with alum heads/intake is closer to 600 pounds.

·
Super Moderator
4,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Google says 510-525 for a 351W. I subtracted some for alum heads and added some for the 4-bolt Boss block and stroker crank.

To be fair, many of the parts in my 514 were selected with lower weight in mind. Other sources would suggest average BBF weight with alum heads/intake is closer to 600 pounds.

I think average BBF weight with stock intake & heads is over 600 pounds. At least that is what I have read before. I wish I would of had the foresight to scale my motor before I installed it. I am currently working on motor #2. I'll scale that when done. I'll fill the pickup at the truck stop gas pump & pull right onto the scale both empty & loaded with an engine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts