460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to try some index racing this weekend. I normally run 10.30's so I'm too slow for the 10.0 class. I need to slow it down to run the 11.0 class. I'm going to remove the cold air box that is normally good for at least a tenth and then shift at 6000 instead of 6600. I have the motor pretty fat right now so if its hot and humid that might help too. Any other ideas on how I can slow this thing down? I should probably post this on a Chevy site to find out how they go slow.

·
Registered
255 Posts
You could try taking some timing out...or maybe a fixed throttle stop. I had a friend loose the secondary linkage off his double pump carb and that also slowed it down about .8.

If all else fails take a plug wire off, had a friend tell me last weekend he had a plug go bad and the car fell off .60. He checked the pipes with a heat gun and found the dead cylinder, replaced the plug and the car was right back where he was.

Hope you get a few time trials to get it right.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Footbrake

Its a footbrake car with a low stall. I hold it at the line at around 2200 Rpm. Any more and it pushes me thru the lights. I need a converter bad. Then maybe I could run the 10.0 class.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Put a block of wood under the accelerator pedal :D. Seriously I would launch hard and put a fender or so on them , you got the whole track to line up on em
Yeah I was thinking of just doing the fender thing. The only problem with that would be if the other guy was sandbagging also.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Dont forget to factor in the reaction time. If you have them covered on the tree you have the difference between the reation times to play with as well.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts

·
Registered
6,970 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
I have had luck at launching lower than normal and shifting early.After i got the launch rpm where i could still cut a decent light i just kept going down with shift point.My car was shifting into high gear at the 60ft mark.It would still mph pretty good this way kinda giving it the throttle stop effect.

·
Registered
6,697 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
if it is a box class, i would use a throttle stop+box. if its a footbrake no box index class, try a throttle stop " if allowed"

1 - 20 of 28 Posts