460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive been doing a lot of researching on www.460ford.com and always seem to come across flywheel HP from engine dynos but hardly ever see any RWHP numbers or MPH at the track (1/4 Mile). Kinda reminds me of the SVT forums (my bro owns a modified 03' Cobra) , over there, all we see is "i make 500RWHP" "i make 53X RWHP" (BTW with just catback and CAI he pulled 400RWHP LOL) and so on but no MPH to back it up. Sorry, just venting. Im curious as to what the motors actually do when theyre in the car. All you boat racers its obvious this isnt directed at you.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Well I guess what it comes down to, is once the engine is built you dyno it. Then you install it in what ever your ride is. Dyno numbers are just that Numbers .. You find where it makes the most of them and then you try to run it there.

Dan

·
Registered
313 Posts
Emissions legal daily driven H/C/I N/A 302, AEM tuned by me

11.72 @ 113

I don't believe in dyno numbers, it's only a tuning device. The 466 should be able to best that easily.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MPH in the quarter is whats most important to me, but obviously the guy with the best ET is the winner, anyways thats fast for a daily driven 302!

·
8,521 Posts
605 boat engine 981 HP 840 tq with 2 1/4" dynoheaders .
After the dragboat season we put the engine in a rear engine dragster . Only change from the dyno to the car was the addition of some nice 2 3/8" headers which it should have had on the dyno . Best time...4.54 with a zero....151.01 mph 1/8 mile . I do not know what it makes at the rear wheels .
Is this the kind of info you were looking for ?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Well, my take on it is on a diverse board like 460ford.com is how would one level the field between those that drag race, those that daily drive, the ones that go mudding in trucks, power their boats with it, etc?

Obviously the chassis dyno wouldn't do.
However almost anyone building a motor can relate to what it puts out on a engine dyno. Do you discount the guy's combo that is running a 600hp flywheel in his 4x4 truck and is only putting out 425 rwhp at the wheels compared to the guy in a late model mustang who has the same combo and is laying down 500 rwhp?

Secondly, the scientific method would dictate to limit the uncontrolled variables. On a chassis dyno there are a number of elements that cannot be adequately controlled like driveline efficiency, wheel/tire combos, hell even wheel alignment and tire pressure will throw the results off on a chassis dyno. This forces people to then pontificate on the value of certain parts and the value of one person's dyno sheet over another. I can't tell you how many times I've added a part on my motor and gained 8 hp on a back to back chassis dyno run and haven't been sure whether the gain was just due to standard deviation or even just increased thermodynamic efficiencies.

Now I'm not totally discounting the value of the rwhp chassis dyno. I'm just saying that engine building guys trying to eek out the value of one modificaton over another will not be able to accurately do that without doing it on the engine dyno. That's why Nascar uses the engine dyno to ensure the highest level of accuracy, repeatability and test throughput.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
im just saying more numbers to back up the engine dyno numbers would be better. Obviously this isnt aimed at the boat builders or themonster truck guys or mud racers or whatever,but at the guys that build street/strip cars. i see a lot of 600+ HP engines here but hardly any 600 (or 500 at that) horsepower cars.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Engine dyno numbers can be used for various reasons (not the least of which is bragging rights) but the two most useful are:

A) Tuning your mill for the most power and giving you a power characteristics baseline for setting up the rest of your vehicle to take advantage of the it.

B) Verifying that your build meets your intended power characteristics goals.

This being the 460ford.com forum it is a given that the emphasis here will be on the engine, not necessarily the vehicle it happens to reside in. How you put the power to the ground will determine how well the vehicle actually performs on the street and at the track.

Brad

·
Registered
259 Posts
1990 mustang GT street driven "not daily have you seen the prices of gas?" full interior,pw,pl+roll bar+ my 250 pound azz. Older FRPP "bracket racers special" 466ci crate motor rated by ford at 535 hp. C-6. Off the footbrake at 1500 rpm best et/mph to date [email protected]

·
Registered
846 Posts
Well. It's a little hard to strap a piperack to a dyno..

See signature for times and mph numbers..

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Lem Evans said:
After the dragboat season we put the engine in a rear engine dragster . Only change from the dyno to the car was the addition of some nice 2 3/8" headers which it should have had on the dyno . Best time...4.54 with a zero....151.01 mph 1/8 mile . I do not know what it makes at the rear wheels .
Those are great numbers! Which heads did you have? what compression ratio and intake manifold/carb?

I am down 100 horse from those numbers. I am 8.9 to 1, A heads and a single dominator. Oh and I hit it at 6400 rpm.

·
8,521 Posts
2112 said:
Lem Evans said:
Those are great numbers! Which heads did you have? what compression ratio and intake manifold/carb?

I am down 100 horse from those numbers. I am 8.9 to 1, A heads and a single dominator. Oh and I hit it at 6400 rpm.
TFS "A" heads , 15/1 , QFT 1250 on a cast manifold....HP @ 6900 . I wish we had the bigger headers for the dyno gig :(

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
As soon as my car is finished I'll have some track numbers to back up the dyno numbers. But I have a tuff row to hoe, because I'm going to do it on a 10.5 slick. On motor alone I looking for 5.10's or .20's, with the nitrous, 4.80's or .90's. If it wasn't a challenge it won't be any fun at all :wink:

·
Premium Member
1,957 Posts
MauriSSSio said:
im just saying more numbers to back up the engine dyno numbers would be better. Obviously this isnt aimed at the boat builders or themonster truck guys or mud racers or whatever,but at the guys that build street/strip cars. i see a lot of 600+ HP engines here but hardly any 600 (or 500 at that) horsepower cars.
Here's one, this is a street car, to boot.

http://www.dragtimes.com/Ford-Torino-Timeslip-6993.html

·
Registered
96 Posts
Nic car Gregg.

I just picked-up a 70 Torino GT roller that I'm putting a 460 in, and looking at your times just shows me the potential of these big cars.

I was lookibg to upgrade the Dragstars on mine with something wider so I could put bigger rubber on the back. What size rims and tires are you running on yours?

Thanks.

DJ

(sorry if I hi-jacked this thread).

·
Premium Member
1,957 Posts
DJstang,

The rear of my car has been mini-tubbed, so this info may be of no use to you.

I run 15x10 wheels, 3.5" backspacing. Street tires are 345-55-15 BFG drag radials, race tires are 28x11.50x15 M/T ET Drag slicks.

Thanks for the nice words about the car, too!

Greg

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
greg, you run 93 octane gas with 11.85 Compression? your car is the perfect example of what im looking for.a hot STREET/ strip car, not a dedicated racer with compression ratios that dont allow for pump gas. i see magmanmick has a nice combo as well. Yes this is a 460ford forum,which of course means itll be based more on the engine than the cars but on the link to this section section say DYNO and 1/4mile verified combos

·
Premium Member
1,957 Posts
Maurisssio,

Yes I run the car on pump 93. Sometimes on race gas if I run low at the track. The race gas changes how the engine sounds, but it runs pretty much the same.

Greg

1 - 20 of 34 Posts