460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just need an overall length of a 4x4 ZF 5 speed from the bellhousing to the transfer case mounting. Can't seem to find it anywhere, thanks in advance.

·
Registered
436 Posts
29.5"

I have a smallblock 4X4 ZF 5 speed transmission for my early Bronco and it measures 29.5" from the rear of the engine to where the transfer case bolts on. That was measuring with a tape measure so give or take 1/4". I don't know if the big block ZFs are the same. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It helps alot, thank you.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just measured my ZF which is a bigblock and it was 26.5" from the face of the bellhouse to the point machined surface where you would bolt up your transfercase.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
436 Posts
That is weird. Just to make sure I didn't mess up the measurement I just double checked mine. It is 29.5". I'm surprised there is any difference unless it is to make up for the over all length between the big blocks and the small blocks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hmmm Maybe I am dislexic? I will double check. Mine measures 26.5" I can't imagine a difference either. Mine is not installed in the truck, I bought it off of Craiglist. It was in a 1996 F350. I believe it a ZF. Maybe I need to verify that it is in fact a ZF.

·
Registered
436 Posts
It will say ZF on the side if it is. There is a good chance they are different lengths between the big and small blocks.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have heard from folks on other forums when I was searching saying that there are differing measurements on these things. Interesting to know.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts