460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have a 557 drag motor 15:1 and it has a seven quart Canton pan. I was told by some that I should run 9 quarts? :confused: I never heard of this before and thought it might causing foaming or other issues??.
I appreciate the help and feed back.
Thank you

·
Registered
10 Posts
I always fill it to the top of the oil spout.. Just kidding.
you may be safe with an extra qt, but like you said about foaming, dont wanna go with too much more than the pan is intended for. perhaps you could get a bigger pan, or modify your existing pan. not sure what your running it in, or how much more room you have for a bigger pan. I run a 9 qt pan and run 10 qts, but also have an external oberg oil filter, so the hoses make up for the extra oil.
Good luck

·
Registered
377 Posts
I would contact Canton and ask.I have a 7qt. Moroso that takes 8qts. with filter.(Moroso advertises the pans capacity,not the entire system).

Russ

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
HV pump?

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
One way of taking care of your problem properly:

1) Look under your car, see if you can widen it or make it deeper.

2) Take measurements of areas that can be increased. Make sure you take into account that you have to install and remove the engine with the larger pan.

3) Remove oil pan and send to Armando's Racing Oil Pans., http://www.aroilpans.com/ .

4) Have Armando increase the size, add drag race baffling, make a new custom oil pump pick-up and screen. Send your oil pump with the pan.

While the above is not cheap, you will not have any further problems, and you don't risk damaging your engine from lack of oil. You have a serious race motor, and the store bought oil pan needs modification to keep up.

Hope that helps,

Dave

·
Registered
584 Posts
you may have a hard time with psi issues on the shut down.i've ran a few chassis pans and never had one work well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts