460 Ford Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 96 f250 with a big block automatic. I will be doing a set of hooker headers with magnaflow mufflers and no cats. I also plan on putting a K&N intake system on it. I would like to know if it would be worth doing a cam change without have a chip burned. I have been told that the exhaust and filter should net me 350hp and 500lbs, but i would like to get as much as possible as this will be my toy hauler.

· Registered
10,855 Posts
I have a 96 f250 with a big block automatic. I will be doing a set of hooker headers with magnaflow mufflers and no cats. I also plan on putting a K&N intake system on it. I would like to know if it would be worth doing a cam change without have a chip burned. I have been told that the exhaust and filter should net me 350hp and 500lbs, but i would like to get as much as possible as this will be my toy hauler.
CompCams has a Hi-Energy cam #34-255-5 for the F.I. engines which I use in customer trucks all the time with success. I can't remember the exact specs.

· Registered
96 Posts
That's the same cam we put in my son's 97'. It ran good for the first 7 minutes of break in then lost almost all the lobes and wore the bottoms of the lifters. Jegs gave him a full refund for the cam and lifters. We talked with the Comp tech guys (several different ones) and they said we prepped it picture perfect with the oil, the additive, and the way we initially lubed the cam with the paste that came with it. The lifters all slid down their bores nicely and rotated easily.Now the truck's been sitting for the past couple of years because he's been out of work and can't afford to rebuild the whole engine. The dipstick "sparkles" from all the metal in the oil. I honestly think he got a "bad" set of lifters. O.K. rant over, I feel much better now.

· Premium Member
10,048 Posts
I have utilised a custom voodoo cam with great success even in california for emissions compliance.

207/213 voodoo cam
503" / 535" lift
Ground on a 113 or 114 lobe sep

You would need to make sure that your retainer to valve stem seal clearances are correct.

The exhaust mods and fresh air intake will net you about 300 HP.

The addition of a ported intake manifold
adjustable fuel pressure regulator due to lean WOT fuel table
aftermarket chip

The above will get you to about 340 HP +

We have done many of these combos. they pass ca emissions, get the same or better fuel economy and pull hills much more easily towing a load. RWHP increases from about 170 ish to 240+.

Hope this helps.

:D

· Registered
50 Posts
so any other suggestions for a good cam for a 97 FI 460 that's not going to ruin an engine but bump up power without any valvetrain modifications?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.