460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day guys
Just a quick one i am sure this has been raised countless times on this forum, but my question is simple. I have a stock 73 460 engine out of a lincoln runs well, and wish to know how much power i can make with the stock bottom end. Oh and how this could be achieved. Engine is for street/strip car. i understand that it will only last so long, I will build a nice strong bottom end at a later date. Just wish to have some fun (for how long who knows!!) with my stock bottom end 460.
Can i pull 6000-6500 out of stock 46,000 mile bottom end?
Can I shave a set of heads for better comp?
Cant wait to hear your reply's
Chris

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
Aussie 460 said:
G'day guys
Just a quick one i am sure this has been raised countless times on this forum, but my question is simple. I have a stock 73 460 engine out of a lincoln runs well, and wish to know how much power i can make with the stock bottom end. Oh and how this could be achieved. Engine is for street/strip car. i understand that it will only last so long, I will build a nice strong bottom end at a later date. Just wish to have some fun (for how long who knows!!) with my stock bottom end 460.
Cant wait to hear your reply's
Chris

Yes, I too am curious.

I know the stock rods are the weakest link.

Are the factory cranks strong enough for 600 hp?

D

·
0 Posts
The stock stuff works at 600hp (Limit for the rods, but the crank is fine at that level) but you should do some good machine work and get everything right. I wouldn't try it on a stock 46,000 mile 35 year old bottom end and expect it to live long.

600 hp is alot of HP, Everybody seems to be used to seeing the kind of numbers anymore. A true 600hp engine will put a typical 3000# car in the high 9's in the 1/4 providing everything is optomized and in a typical street car without great suspension it's about useless to have that much !!

·
Registered
495 Posts
i am installing a bone stock bottom end 76 460 in my buddy's 67 stang this year.We are putting a c8ve heads on it with home ported heads to a offe cj intake and a mild cam that will pull to 55-5700 max.because of the stock cast pistons and car rods,i feel this is the safe max limite. 8)

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
jm said:
i am installing a bone stock bottom end 76 460 in my buddy's 67 stang this year.We are putting a c8ve heads on it with home ported heads to a offe cj intake and a mild cam that will pull to 55-5700 max.because of the stock cast pistons and car rods,i feel this is the safe max limite. 8)
Wow! I would be afraid to pull past 5,000 with those mid 70's car rods.

Our 83 460 Bird has a 75 LTD cast piston/stock rod bolts combo and i get nervous about going past 4500.

Of course, it runs out of carb at 4500 because we run a 600 Carter.

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
Fordtek1 said:
I turn my 466 to 7200 repeatedly. Only upgrades to short block are balancing, arp bolts and kb hypers.
That's pretty impressive!

·
Registered
128 Posts
I put TFS heads and a cam on my stock bottom end. It was a little over 500hp and I sprayed it with 175 shot. My rev limiter was set at 6200 IIRC and I bounced it off that repeatedly. The engine did very well. Until I ran it out of oil that is. Funny how these things work. :-D

·
Registered
35 Posts
My first race motor was a crate 460 from Ford. I shifted it at 5800 for 300 hundred passes and never had a prob. That with stock rods and cast pistons.

Brad

·
Premium Member
5,588 Posts
Aussie 460 said:
I have a stock 73 460 engine out of a lincoln runs well, and wish to know how much power i can make with the stock bottom end.

Chris
Chris,

Any rod, be it new, used, factory issue, aftermarket, cast, forged, steel, aluminum, titanium, this or that, may fail (or not) at any time from initial engine start-up to 20,000 rpm. The likelyhood or possiblility that a rod might fail depends on so many factors it's just unbelievable, and selecting the correct rod for the application greatly reduces the possibility of failure.

I have heard of oem passenger car rods letting go at 4500 rpm during a mild cruising-state, and then there's Kaase who recently pushed them to 802HP at 6500 rpm. :shock:

The current general rule of thumb as of late seems to be that carefully selected, fully inspected and well prepped oem rods ought to be good to about 550-600HP. The questions is: with so many decidedly stronger aftermarket rods available, why risk it?

As far as doing a top-end upgrade on an existing factory issue bottom end, I would personally estimate that 500+ @5500+ is acceptable. Any more than than that and your risk of rod failure rises notably, as you just don't know what's in that engine or its operational history. And so does your risk of those cast pistons breaking a skirt off themsleves, especially if your bore is worn oversize (46,000 miles doesn't sound all bad).

Heads can be shaved only so far until you run into other issues...most of which are addressable but the majority of hot rod enthusiasts don't care to get involvoed with.
Paul

·
Registered
88 Posts
I put TFS heads and a cam on my stock bottom end. It was a little over 500hp and I sprayed it with 175 shot. My rev limiter was set at 6200 IIRC and I bounced it off that repeatedly. The engine did very well. Until I ran it out of oil that is. Funny how these things work. :-D

·
Registered
88 Posts
What kind of car did you have it in? How much did it weigh? Et?

I have a similar setup in an ‘87 Mustang GT Convertible. I have yet to get it finished and to the track, but I was trying to see what to expect. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
my kid shifts her stock bottom end 460 7200

we have always shifted these things in stock trim around 7000, not telling you to, just what we do

1 - 16 of 16 Posts