460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was just into bogging but now im more into gettin through it at faster times then everyone else. chebbys are on top around here and it sucks! most are small blocks that turn anywhere form 7500-9000 rpm, and a couple chebby big blocks that can really turn the R's.
im only runnin a mild 460, which runs really good but dont really got nothing over 5000 rpms. i was previously thinking TORQUE TORQUE TORQUE but now that i realize higher RPM's = higher wheel speed in the same gear, i think i want rpms rather than off idle torue?

how should i build my motor, crank, rods, stroke or just bore, pistons, hydraulic/solid lifter, roller rocker etc?
im not made of money but i want a tough reliable motor so watever it takes. my BB motor is out of a 1971 lincoln

·
Premium Member
808 Posts
I've got a few things in mind that you could do... I do best when I talk to someone to see what all they are comfortable with. If you want to shoot me an email or give me a call I would be glad to give you some help. I often times have some pretty good deals that members can get a part of without spending tons of money!

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
im not sure, theyre runnin 5-6-700hp motors and i got like what a 350hp maybe?
ive seen stroker kits from $1000-1500 (not counting machine work obviously) but dont really know if thats what i really need or want

thats why i come here every night!

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
right now all i got is the performer 460 setup intake/cam/lifters/springs
with a lame holley single pumper vaccum secondary's
cant even tell you wht degree the timing is set at

still runnin stock vaccum advance distributor ... this summer was dedicated to drivetrain, motor is next in line

·
Registered
860 Posts
right now all i got is the performer 460 setup intake/cam/lifters/springs
with a lame holley single pumper vaccum secondary's
cant even tell you wht degree the timing is set at

still runnin stock vaccum advance distributor ... this summer was dedicated to drivetrain, motor is next in line
If the donor engine is from 71 then you already have a pretty decent overall setup for torque. You've got good heads that only need some exhaust port work to really wake them up. You're running out of steam above 5000 because you don't have headers (you didn't list any). No need to spin it faster anyway as the Performer setup is designed for power much further down in the powerband.

As for the "lame" vac secondary, stop believing everything you hear from benchracer wannabes. A vac secondary 750 is a perfectly acceptable carb. In fact, in an auto-trannied tugboat like your truck it's a very good choice. Is your distributor points type or Duraspark-fired? If it's a Duraspark setup a simple rebuild and recurve is all you need for a reliable and very capable street setup. A few tuning tweaks and you can motor happily off into the sunset.

As mentioned above your budget is the determining factor. A $1500 stroker setup sounds inexpensive until you start pricing the gear and misc prep needed to properly support the added displacement. Machining, parts, and assembly can easily add another grand or more to that number. Figure $2500, minimum, to get the short block ready. And that's doing most of the wrenching yourself. Then stack on new carb, headers, head work, etc, etc, etc. to the tab and you suddenly find yourself in the $4500-$5000 range. If you're lucky.

With the parts you already have you could probably doing a basic .030-over freshening along with some mild exhaust porting. Fresh gaskets, a set of headers, and some careful tuning later should have you in the range of 425 hp and 500-525 lb/ft torque. With that much twist you should be able to break driveline parts with abandon. Figure about $2500-$3000 for parts and machining. More, obviously, if you go hog-wild on parts or have someone else turning the wrenches.

Brad

1 - 6 of 6 Posts