460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
nuclearcobra said:
Can you jack up the car in the middle of the k member like a stock piece or will it bend. The motor is a iron head 460.
I've never tried it.. I put the floor jack on one side and raise my Mustang.. I can put three jackstands in at one time. If I leave the front one a lil low I can push on the nose and have someone place the rear one in.

Laters!

·
Registered
816 Posts
If you have a anti roll bar, take one of the hym joints out before jacking the car from one side. It put alot of stress on them if you don't.

·
Registered
156 Posts
The k member is plenty strong enough to jack up the whole car if needeed. Its design is the only part of this piece that is less than adequate.

·
Registered
72 Posts
ive jacked my car up by the k-member many times and the Qa1 seems to be fine doing it.

did any of you guys have a hard time getting a bolt into the rear a-arm perch? i had to grind on the bolts for both sides. is this "normal" for this k-member or will it make the grade 8 bolts unsafe to use?

sorry to clutter your post, but i have been meaning to ask someone else that has the Qa1 k-member.

thanks,
carl

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did'nt install this k member but i looked lastnite and the bolts are ground also i dont think its gonna weakin them their huge plus theirs no grinding on the shank.

S

·
0 Posts
86bb said:
ive jacked my car up by the k-member many times and the Qa1 seems to be fine doing it.

did any of you guys have a hard time getting a bolt into the rear a-arm perch? i had to grind on the bolts for both sides. is this "normal" for this k-member or will it make the grade 8 bolts unsafe to use?

sorry to clutter your post, but i have been meaning to ask someone else that has the Qa1 k-member.

thanks,
carl
Nope Carl, your OK. Grinding the bolts is what ya got to do.. Your good to go!

Laters!

·
Registered
72 Posts
thanks guys,

i figured it would be safe and had it in my old street car like that, but figured it wouldn't hurt to see if anyone else had to do it also.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
I worry

I have one on a car and worry about those teeny little tabs that hold on the lower control arms. :shock: I haven't driven it yet though.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Re: I worry

cletus66 said:
I have one on a car and worry about those teeny little tabs that hold on the lower control arms. :shock: I haven't driven it yet though.
I feel the same way. It doesn't look like it would be all that difficult to strengthen them up a bit with some 1/8" sheet metal.

I will probably get to doing that on mine sooner or later.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts