460 Ford Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of hp gain could I see from switching over to an elect.water & fuel pump from mech ones? These are on a 650 hp engine. Anyone here done dyno test on this ? :?

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
bigblock79 said:
What kind of hp gain could I see from switching over to an elect.water & fuel pump from mech ones? These are on a 650 hp engine. Anyone here done dyno test on this ? :?
You will not see a measurable hp difference from a mechanical fuel pump to an electric. Unless one or the other can't keep up with demand.

Can't comment on the gain going to elec. water pump, but doubt that it's significant. I would inst an underdrive crank pulley and slow all your accessories down, there is a minimal gain there in less parasitic loss and best benefit is better cooling. The stock type water pump was designed to operate at lower rpms, and in general a performance application spins them too high causing cavitation.

Surely one of the engine builders here would have test data or speculate. Consider this a bump to the top.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I agree with the fuel pump.

I know a couple of people who grew paranoid with all out electric water pumps since they make little noise. The belt drive kit seems better, in my case I replaced the original crappy motor with a quality Dayton Electric motor. You can hear it and see it.

I like having control of the water, just like an electric fan. In performance I think 1/10 a second or about 25hp is the most you will see over a stock setup. It is a cheap 25hp.

As far as cooling goes my best benefit was the inline filler and the oil cooler, knocking down a combined 25 degrees after a run. (200 degrees) Plus it cools down really fast, by my second run I was back down to 160. I was running without a thermostat BTW.

I am running a March underdrive on my alternator, my only other accessory.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so there is a gain from the elect. water pump ! trying to justify the $$$ to switch over . The fuel pump I would guess would be minimal but anything mech would have to create a small load on the engine, right?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.