460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now last week I was offered a job I am not qualified for or experienced in and turned it down. From the unemployment reaction I figured I would not get any unemployment due to this.

What I did not expect is my employer reported that I worked last week. Obviously I did not. This is my third week without work and I will not see one dime. The question is what do I do about my employer claiming I worked?

I can get through until the middle of March without pay, but if nothing comes up by then for jobs its over, and things are looking scary here.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Sorry had to rant.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,451 Posts
No Paycheck, No Work...... I'd go down and apply for unemployment and as far as the job offer, you where working when it was offered according to your current employer saying you where working the week it was offered right? So you didn't need a job at that time, but now your unemployed.....................
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
TommyJ466 said:
If you ain't working, why did you turn down a job offer?

TJ
It is a job fabricating and as a rigger as well. I am clumsy and have no right trying to fabricate or do rigger work especially. Nothing I have experience with and not a company I applied for, they contacted me. I am not against doing the majority of jobs out there, but this one is not for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,371 Posts
jpierce55 said:
TommyJ466 said:
If you ain't working, why did you turn down a job offer?

TJ
It is a job fabricating and as a rigger as well. I am clumsy and have no right trying to fabricate or do rigger work especially. Nothing I have experience with and not a company I applied for, they contacted me. I am not against doing the majority of jobs out there, but this one is not for me.
Contact the company and let them know your interested in work but that the particular rigging / fab job may not be for you. Find out of they were going to train you for that job or would be willing to place you in another job.

As far as the employer claiming you worked last week. Call the unemployment office and ask what they feelyou should do. They'll probably tell you that you need a statement from the company (HR can probably get it for you ) that says you are in fact laid off and that should take care of it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,854 Posts
Some employers are just simply bastards when it comes to paying unemployment. Have them get PROOF from your ex-employer showing that he paid you if he claims that.

I once had an employer claim that the job was a TEMPORARY position after my lay-off; and I was well aware of that fact when I took the position. (This was a flat lie but, he won the case even though I worked there for 4 YEARS).

They ALWAYS side with the employer if you don't have the proof they ask for; at least in Michigan.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Typically this company has just fired people and claims to have never laid anybody off permanently before. I may/may not be permanent but some were released last week for good. It is not surprising they are trying to get out of it.

I finally got through to my processing center and they said the company would have to prove they paid me for work, unless I am paid for four days I will still get something. Assuming my turning down the other job does not disqualify me. :roll:

I will survive, but it might be tough.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
rmcomprandy said:
Some employers are just simply bastards when it comes to paying unemployment. Have them get PROOF from your ex-employer showing that he paid you if he claims that.

I once had an employer claim that the job was a TEMPORARY position after my lay-off; and I was well aware of that fact when I took the position. (This was a flat lie but, he won the case even though I worked there for 4 YEARS).

They ALWAYS side with the employer if you don't have the proof they ask for; at least in Michigan.
My employer did not pay me and I have direct deposit. I can get a bank statement and next week a paycheck stub to prove I got no pay. My employer was also given until Friday to respond or its in favor of me. The office people are off as of yesterday to the best of my knowledge. It might be a few weeks but I am sure I will get it.

As for the job offer the unemployment office called and said since it was a job for requiring welding (braising) and 3-5 years of fabricating experience that I should be safe. It will be at least 3 weeks before I see money. I will be working again by then!

I don't NEED the money, but I also don't like draining funds I have saved for emergency. I can actually honestly say this scares me for others. I know other people who are living from paycheck to paycheck and they may not make it without funds soon. Kids and a big rent/house payment are two things I don't have to worry about.

Another scary thing the Ohio situation is bad enough they just got a 500 million dollar loan to support unemployment until the beginning of March
:shock: This state is sinking!

Edit: as of 12-28, they ruled in my favor and I am getting my unemployment. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,857 Posts
I'm getting ready for the same thing. The folks in charge at work say everything is FINE, and NO PROBLEMS. That makes me more nervous than ever. In our industry, it is only a matter of time before the ripple effect works towards us. :? I'm not diong the full fledged survivalist nut job stuff, but I'm doing a few small things to get ready. Hope it works out for you. I'm sure it will. 8)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
cletus66 said:
I'm getting ready for the same thing. The folks in charge at work say everything is FINE, and NO PROBLEMS. That makes me more nervous than ever. In our industry, it is only a matter of time before the ripple effect works towards us. :? I'm not diong the full fledged survivalist nut job stuff, but I'm doing a few small things to get ready. Hope it works out for you. I'm sure it will. 8)
What industry is that? I was auto industry so go figure :roll: . Oh trust me they told us the week before everything was fine. I kept warning people not to listen. We did not work the Friday before the layoff and so I probed the internet that weekend finding a press release saying Mercedes was shutting down for a couple of weeks and cutting production. I printed it out and passed it around on that Monday :roll:

Evidently I am to return to work on January 19, but I am and will look for something else 1/2 reasonable. My return is likely to be for a couple of weeks/months before I get the permanent can. They are now releasing everybody under 3 yrs and next if 5 yrs. I have under 4. My supervisor is trying to get a special allowance for me due to the fact I was there at the beginning of the project and only one other person is left from that era. I don't count on anything but myself and God.

Best of luck to you Jeff and all the others who are unemployed or about to be!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,857 Posts
I work at a chemical plant. One of our products is fertilizer, and it is piling up. Our main product is Caprolactam, and sales will dictate how it goes. :? Only time will tell.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top