460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The title of this thread was my quote for this weekend, I'll mud race any day before I do mud BOGGIN again. I did ok, 3rd in pro stock and 3rd in open class, but the truck took a pounding. Out of 8 runs, I got stuck 6 times, and the 2 runs where I did make it out, that poor motor was at full song for way longer then I like it to be. I started the weekend off with my 38.5x11 cut boggers, did 2 runs with them. Then I put the 39.5x18s on the back, that made a difference, did 2 runs like that. After day 1 I was in 6th and 4th place. This morning I put the 39.5x18s on the front as well, did 4 runs like that and they got me to the pay window. I was by far the smallest truck in my classes, running in a pit that appeared to have been filled with concrete mix. The ruts were crazy deep, the pit was nasty rough, but in the end I guess it wasn't too bad. The front sheet metal of the truck is gone, toast, bent up beyond repair, I will try to bash it into place to finish off this year but if it don't work, I'll take it off and run without. I will have a video up tomorrow hopefully, but for now, I am exhausted and need some rest.

Heres a pic a friend got of me.

Attachments

·
Registered
895 Posts
Mudrace vs Mudbog

LOL

You better come race with us in the CMRO.

Two venues this year have used wet sand this year and one more coming up so thats 3 out of 8 places.

My invite to Rimbey is still on for you also Sept 11-12/10.

Later Mark

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Nice Myron, sounds like a nastey pit!

Vidz Plz! :D

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
Myron,

Man sorry to hear about your truck! I know you and you'll get it back into show truck shape! Maybe not immediately but it will happen for sure!

Did they dig the pit deeper than last year or something?
If not then..
What has changed since last year that has caused the damage?

Are the narrower tires are building much more speed and running deeper in the mud,so when you hit the wall in the pit you are just self destructing?
Are the wider tires just keeping you hydro-planing and not sinking so you really never have impact?

That deep bog that was sticking everyone before me this year, I switched to wide fronts and backs and was the last truck to make it out of the pit about 7 before me didn't and 5 behind me didn't. But even with 44 rears they were getting stuck with 38 fronts that would dig their axles and stick like a dart.

I've thought that if I was going to do it right(DOT class) run 4 wide or 4 skinnies. I know a lot of guys on the board use the wide narrow combo and I think that too works best in certain conditions. But usually wide all the way for staying up (to some degree) or narrows all the way.

If I ever hit the jackpot I'll have a set of 4 39.5's stretched on something like 20 inch rims!!

Hope you get the yellow beast bent back to a tolerable level of acceptance.

I kinda don't want to see the video now, I already feel bad....:mad:

Jeffro

·
Registered
177 Posts
I felt bad for the motor in the last run, it must have held 7 grand for 45 seconds or better. Mud was landing on the far end of the pit so that was 200 feet and easily was 60 feet in the air. That pit was pretty nasty. i was debating on attempting but fear of expolding my front shaft kept me out of it.

·
Registered
177 Posts
the small pit was like a set of railroad tracks total oposite of the pit myron ran. . First pass i picked a line and when the front tires go air bourne at the 30foot mark , she got loose and i got out of the ruts chewed back in them and make a 10.2 run. Second run of the day lined up and hammered it, launched good, but was on the rev limiter in about 80 feet. 6.72 run, launched out the hole, was told front tires cleared all the crap at the end of the track by a foot. Both door bind a bit now. Lannded me in seciond place. with me being a under a second behind the lead. Day two, same track, pulled a 7.6 run and a 7.4 run, both on the rev limiter in third gear 4low. Earned 2nd place super stock class. I should have opened the rev limiter up, might have hit the top spot.

Truck hooked good all weekend. Really happy with the first time out with her.
Myron i have some footage i think some place, will get wife to upload it.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mark - I may take you up on that, I did find some uncut 38.5x11s I could borrow, or I could run the cuts and play with the nitrous boys. How sticky are they with driveshaft hoops, nuetral switches etc?? And how much notice do you need for us to come down?

Jeff - The pits are about 8 years old, never been filled in and just get deeper every year. The pits were 100% clay, thick, sticky and really heavy.
What I did was run the wides on the back for my last 2 runs on saturday, then got my other two wides for the front for day 2. They skinnies just dug down too fast, and since they were abit shorter then the wide tires, I figured any added clearance I could get would be a benifit for me, and it was. The pits were so rough that on a few runs I would pick a line, hit a bad bump and get tossed to the other side. Sometimes it was good and others it ended the run early LOL.

As for the front end damage, heres what happened. First run, had a block of clay from the oil pan to the ground, rendering my brakes useless, so when the loader pulled me out, the truck coasted into the back of it. I would have hit the tbrake to stop the truck, but didnt think about it till it was too late. After that, it was all just the weight of the mud that pulled it down. The truck must have weighed 7000lbs + after every run, it was really heavy stuff.

I am working on uploading the vid right now, its a longer one with alot of different trucks. I put 1 of each run for tire combo, 1 skinnies, 1 wide/skinnies and one with wides which was my last run, and you'll be able to see the sad face of the truck LOL.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Myron, sorry to hear about the damage. :( Good thing it's only sheetmetal and not motor/tranny/driveline parts, though. I see a lot of that thick red Virginia clay here, so I know what you are talking about. Having the skinny vs. wide issue myself. I sold all my wides for skinnys when I was running my f150 because the lack of hp and weight, I needed something to dig down and get me through. Now I have the light weight ranger, the skinnys are actually hurting me since I don't really have the weight to push down and dig. So in my best Bill Clinton voice, "I feel your pain."

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
Myron,

I too have been jumping off the tread mill to check to see if it's up yet. Even been sneaky to check your Youtube account to see if I could catch it before it got posted.

Not to worry, I'll check back later!!

·
Registered
733 Posts
Awesome video, your truck really did sing for a while on that last run!

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Damn nastery hole for sure! sorry bout the damage thats gonna be a pain

Have you ever thought about two cut 39.5's for the rear?

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Myron,

That was some crazy thick, sloppy mess you had to go through! Sorry for the damage, we all know you'll get it back straight in no time though.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
77mud - I have thought about it, but if I ever end up in a hole like this again, I might just borrow a buddies 44s for the weekend. My next event is another bog pit, so the 39s asre stayin on the truck for now!!

I banged the hood back out, and hay wired the fender into place. It doesnt open and close very nice anymore, but it'll work till the end of the season I guess.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts