460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(Ford 9")

I just got finished pulling one of my axles only to find out that they are 28 spilne.

I had the beat and beat on them to get them out. My plan was to install a full spool. But now that I see that they are 28 spline I'm debating. I don't want to by a full spool for a 28 spline.

So I'm thinking of getting some axles. I'm planning on running 700hp in a 4300-4500lb 2wd truck. If I go new axle route what size should I get?

Or should I just buy a minispool and have at it?

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Buy the largest ones you can still fit inside the case!! I think they are 35 spline.
My Torino has stock 28 spline axles that I know Im just pressing my luck with them!
My car weighes 4000 lbs, and has gone 10.08 @ 132.
Im going with the 35 spline units and spool just to be safe.
It may be overkill for my car, but at least it wont kill me!!

·
Premium Member
4,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
jpierce55 said:
Are they aftermarket? If so you might get by for awhile, if not you needed to change them regardless.
Yes they are stock 28 spline axles. I'm alittle concerned that I had to beat on them so hard to get the out. The bearing was rusted in. It didn't look like anyone has ever tried removing them before.

Although it would be nice just to buy a mini spool and have at it. Then when it breaks move on up..

Once again though I had to beat so hard on the axles that it made a number of flat spots and dents. I started off with a rubber mallet then worked my way to a 10lb hammer.

·
Registered
508 Posts
There was a guy (Pat) on the old forum who ran a Bronco (4500+lbs) with around 800hp, I seem to recall he twisted a set of Strange 35 spline axles one full tooth, he ended up running Mark Williams 40 spline, there was a good thread about all this on the old forum. I think 28 splines and a mini-spool with that kinda power and weight is asking for trouble.
Moser has a nice torque calulator on thier site thats useful for figuring out the requirements, they also use a 200% safety factor.

D

·
0 Posts
Step-up and buy the bigget axel that will fit your case !! You have a very heavy truck and alot of HP. 35's should the the minimum your looking at !! You may even consider stepping up to a dana 60? they are alot heavier duty than a stock ford 9" and readly avaliable.

·
Registered
95 Posts
The D60 is beefier in the housing, but most came w/ 31 spline, 1.3" axles...same size as the 9in. They have a 9.75" ring gear, not much bigger than the 9. Also, they are designed w/ the pinion higher on the ring gear centerline. That decreases friction somewhat, but also decreases tooth to tooth contact and ultimately strength. They are also quite a bit heavier (as I said, mainly in the housing.)

·
Premium Member
4,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I called Moser this morrning (Talked with Tony). He suggested a 33 spline. If I remember correct he also said that 33 was as large as I could go with the housing I have.

I think for the time being I'm going to just buy a mini spool for the 28 spline and go race.

A friend of mine just found me a set of headers,and a crankshaft for free!

I'm trying to go racing on the down low budget while I'm still running this stock engine.

I just need some more opinions on if I screwed my axle from beating on it to get it out! I still have one more to get out sooo! I might have two matching beat axles! I'll try and take some pictures tonight and post to get everyones oppinion.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
IF you decide to reuse your axles you will need new bearings. This is a press job that any shop can do. Ask them for an opinion on your axles.

·
Premium Member
4,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Another reason why I might reuse my 28 spline is if I decide to 4-link this truck more than likely I will shorten the housing.

Then again if I buy 33 spline in a stock truck lenght housing I'm sure I could always resale them.

·
Registered
397 Posts
If you buy 33spline for a stock width housing you could have them cut down for your new housing. I would skip the 28 spline plan if it was me, if its a truck, find a 4x4 truck and use the 31 spline axles out of that and do the mini spool thing. I found out that I have 31 spline axles in my bronco the hard way, saving up for some 35s currently.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I think I would stay away from the mini-spool, they have some issues on big power and vehicles that hook up good. Or so I am told but never had trouble with one on 450-480hp.

I would be scared to run 700hp on stock axles on any vehicle. I figure the NHRA requires aftermarkets for a reason on vehicles running 10's or faster.

Moser does have a calculator and make good axles for what I would say is the best price you are going to find.

Pat was running more then 800hp at the time he pulled those axles if I remember correctly he had already pumped up the engine.

Even I have what it takes to press in the bearing, and to cut the rearend down. It was given to me, the only thing I can't do is weld it back. In anycase the Olds ends are better then the original 9".

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Personally I think you are foolish to skimp on anything that effects safety. The mini spool is cheap and I have one in my car but..... I twisted a set of stock 28 spline axles in my pinto with a solid cam 289 with a 3500 stall converter. It sure as hell never made 700 horsepower either. After that I bought some Strange axles. The thing to consider is what is going to break next.... if the mini spool breaks then that is alright. If the axle breaks when you are getting on it hold on and meet mr. wall or worse yet, get jerked into the other lane and get pasted by some 8 second car about to blow by you....nice...really saving the money there. If you want to make big power you need to support it.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I hope I didn't bum you out too much. When I was young all I cared about was the cost (you should try building a car in Canada if you think it is expensive in MS). I guess as I get older and see more cars cream the wall or into other cars I start thinking about safety issues much more.

Plus, it has taken me so many years to accumulate the cars I have and they are still not finished so I would hate to wreck one. I used to admire these people that could crash a car and build a new one in a week..or build the coolest cars when I had ****, until I had realized that they had no life and spent every waking cent on car parts, lived at home with their parents etc.

I am rambling now, sorry, I will shut up.

·
Premium Member
4,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, here is what I done.

I ordered a 28 spline mini spool just to see if I can get into the 9's for the time being.

After shipping and a hardened pin it came up to $51.40 I'm not going to worry about the axle or replacing the bearings. I'm just going to go out and have some more fun.

I am planning on building an engine. For the time being though I want to do some bracket racing. See if I really do like it before putting a ton of money in.

Summit stinks! You order a part then they tell you you have to have this and this to make it work. Then adds $9.50 for handling! Not shipping! then tells you it will take a week unless you want to pay $12.00 more to have it by the weekend!

Ok rant over!...........

·
Premium Member
4,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The other axle came out easy as could be. The brake adjuster worked and I was able to just slide the drum off. Then took the four bolts out and the axle slide right out!

So, I thought well lets try the the diff case! HA!! it won't budge! I think someone used Liquid Nails for gasket maker Or I just ain't doing something right!

·
Premium Member
4,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
89521coupe said:
Hi, Jones I hope you are talking about 9s in the eighth mile and not 1320'Good luck and GOD BLESS B.C. :shock:
Yes 9's in the 1/8th! I'm just playing with my truck for the moument until my engine come togather. I'm just wearing out my old one.

I'm really kinda waiting to see if I do really want to build this truck to hold 700hp. It's got rust in some bad areas and I'm trying to decide if I can think of another car or truck to build. Nothing else really just strikes me,,, besides maybe a Ford station wagon! That would be cool.

·
Premium Member
4,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Why didn't no one tell me you could rent an axle puller from Autozone?

I guess cause I didn't ask. That stinks. In order to stay on the cheap side I'm going to have to go salvage yard diving to find another 28 spline.

I also found out that my driveshaft has a nice dent in it. it looks like someone hit a rock while the driveshaft was spinning.

THIS STINKS!! I'm ready to just keep this thing as a junk truck! I bent the backing plate also when I was trying to get the axle out. So that's another problem!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts