460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 87 F250 with 460 and 4 speed, I have found an 89 F350 with a 460 and a 5 speed, It also has its transfer case with it.It is actually a whole truck.Can I take out the 4 speed and its hardware and put the 5 speed and its xfer case and hardware in its place.Will it all bolt up.I cant seem to get anyone on the heavy duty, crawlers,pullers post to respond.Also which xfer case will be in the F 350, it is stock.Thanks all that respond

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Nothing is impossible if your mechanically inclined. You might have to relocate a few brackets but it should swap right in. And as far as what transfer case is it. It's either a Borg Warner or a New Process.

Dan

·
Registered
31 Posts
Im in the process of doing a similar swap. My 5 speed came out of a 96 f350. The transfer case in mine is a borg warner. I am converting mine to the hydraulic clutch setup. I am not sure if you have a hydraulic clutch in your truck already or not. My truck is a 79 f250, the bolt holes on the cross member needed to be elongated a bit otherwise no problems there. Another thing I have heard is that you can bolt the 205 transfercase up to the 5 speed by grinding off the aluminum bump that helps align the borg warner. Your 460 should be externally balanced if it was built after 79 which makes bolting on the flywheel off of the speed no big deal. I believe you will want to get the flywheel from the 5 speed for your swap too as it may be different than your current setup. One other clearance problem I have seen is between the body and the 5 speed on my body style of truck however I am unsure on yours. I have a 3" body lift so I am not anticipating that problem. I hope this helps. We have done this conversion in a 76 and it worked great. I know this info seems a bit cluttered, if I can help out let me know.
Thanks,

Scott

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies.My truck does already have the hydraulic clutch setup.I went ahead and bought the whole truckl, so that I can have all the hardware.I hope the 5 speed is tough.I figure it will be since they also came in the F450's.I will start on the swap soon.

·
Registered
733 Posts
As far as transfer cases, if one of them is indeed the borg warner, I would use that over the new process 208. They borg warner is stronger due to the magnesium in the case and has a good low ratio. Either should be interchangeable.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
The 87 should already have a 1345.

so its likely the same case between the 2 trucks, unless the 89 already has a 1356.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts