460 Ford Forum banner

I need a transmission.

3K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  RayDav 
#1 ·
I have a 73 Mach 1. I am about to replace the 351C-4V with a 460/532. It is mostly a road tour car, but will also spend a lot of time in slow traffic.

A locking convertor would be nice. I am very comfortable with an E4OD, but doubt there is room for it.

Am I stuck with a C6?

And please, no GM stuff.

#2 ·
I have a 73 Mach 1. I am about to replace the 351C-4V with a 460/532. It is mostly a road tour car, but will also spend a lot of time in slow traffic.

A locking convertor would be nice. I am very comfortable with an E4OD, but doubt there is room for it.

Am I stuck with a C6?

And please, no GM stuff.
Try a 6r80 ford transmission 6 speed.

Cheers, Bob

#3 ·
The E4OD is the only OD overdrive trans that will bolt up directly to a 460.You could go to a 4R70W or an AOD with an adapter.Both have issues...AOD is stand alone,no electronics,but needs mods for your power.4R needs a controller like the E4 and can handle decent power with a few mods.Have one in my 460 Fox.

#5 ·
I have put E4ODs behind 460, 7.3 IDI, and I have a 4R100 behind a 7.3 PSD. My current understanding is that an E4OD and 4R100 have the same over all shape and mounting points.

You say you have a 4R100/460 in a Fox body. What did you need to do to floor pans?

I have put 460s in 71-73 Mustangs so that is not an issue. Care to estimate whether an E4OD would fit in a 73 Mustang?

#8 ·
The only reason I am looking for another trans is to get a locking convertor. The car currently has a C6. And I have a C6 behind a 460 in a 76 Montego wagon that weighs 4K#, and it is OK. But for a cross country car that might spend all day on a freeway, a locking convertor is nice. And I also often need to idle in slow traffic, so that means an automatic.

For over a decade I have had an E4od behind a 7.3L IDI and a 4R100 behind a 7.3L PSD, and early this year put an AODE behind a 427W in my 64 Mustang convertible. I have run all of those cross country.

I have just noticed that an AODE can be bolted to a 460. So if an E4OD cannot be stuffed in, I might consider an AODE.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.