460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
but I felt like I needed to say something. I don't like having to criticize a vendor, but this is ridiculous. I really haven't paid much attention to my intake after getting it back from having the ports raised till tonight. Boy I sure wished I had gone over it really good when I first got it. Yes I am upset!!! I could have done just as good and I am no expert welder. I have almost a $1000 just in the intake, for that much money I would have expected a lot better quality. For a few bucks more I could have got a sheet metal intake made. No I haven't discussed this with the vendor to give him a chance to correct it, as it took him almost a year to port my heads and modify this intake. If he has someone doing this quality of weld what is to make me believe it's going to get better. Now I got a real good $1000 crappy looking doorstop cause no telling how many vacuum leaks this thing has. Shoots the hell out of my EFI project thanks a lot for the crappy work. I posted small pics to help the dial up guys out, but if you wish to see larger detail pics here is the link to my album.
http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n63/HillBilly_Heaven/?mediafilter=images
Here is what really caught my eye and got me to really looking close. This was brand new intake when it was sent out.
Back side of last runner:

Runner behind thermostat housing. Don't even know if one will bolt up.

Runners from underside 4 of eight runners with giant gorilla snot bubbles:

·
Registered
790 Posts
Bill,
I don't even know what to say. It's hard to believe that someone would try to pass this off as professional work. But then again, maybe it's all your fault, after all he only had your parts for a year, maybe you rushed him!

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
If it was an all-out "hog the heck out of it" port job, then I could understand a break through and need to repair. But yeah, any repairs that could have been machined smooth should have been. How's the inside of the ports look?

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Scott the ports were raised. All those blisters you see are on the bottom side of the runners. Weld material was added to the bottom of the runners and ground from the top side so if it was going to be thin anywhere it would have been the top. Also weld blown out the sides of 2 of the runners, one of the runners it's blown out about 3 fingers wide.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I think your intake has the mumps. Take it to a doctor.:lol:

ps: I would be pissed too.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I see. At least you know they got good penetration with the weld! Kidding aside, I think I could do a better job than that... and I've never welded aluminum before.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
monstermiler - I would make a point to ask the opinion of a few of the professionals on the site. And see what the expectations of the job would have been if they would have performed/done the work. Keeping their opinions/advice to yourself it will give you an idea what is and isn't normal and what to expect.

What intake was this and what heads were they matched to. Was the intake that the gentleman working on up to the potential of the work/task he was asked to perform ?

Looks like all the welding was done from the inside of the runner, was the weld surface on the inside finished cosmetically or was it left rough/welded. You could probably finish/cartridge roll the outside of the intake and hit it with a bead blaster to clean things up cosmetically and be fine.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
blastertech70 said:
monstermiler - I would make a point to ask the opinion of a few of the professionals on the site. And see what the expectations of the job would have been if they would have performed/done the work. Keeping their opinions/advice to yourself it will give you an idea what is and isn't normal and what to expect.
I wouldn't put them in that position. I do not believe in pitting vendors against each other on the board. I think even with a signed promise never to reveal their answers they would still refrain from giving me complete answers.
blastertech70 said:
What intake was this and what heads were they matched to. Was the intake that the gentleman working on up to the potential of the work/task he was asked to perform ?
I will not discuss the application at this time. The intake was up to the potential and was even recommended by the person doing the work.
blastertech70 said:
Looks like all the welding was done from the inside of the runner, was the weld surface on the inside finished cosmetically or was it left rough/welded. You could probably finish/cartridge roll the outside of the intake and hit it with a bead blaster to clean things up cosmetically and be fine.
I would say it was semi finished there are a few ports with a definite edge where the weld material was not feathered into the original material.
Oh so your saying I paid for a partial job. To me it's about Quality of Workmanship. How can someone say how good of a job it is when the person doing the job doesn't take pride in their work and how it is presented. Would you buy a car that was SUPPOSE to run 200mph and get 50 miles to the gallon but half the bolts weren't tightend and the body panels didn't line up. Makes you wonder about the original claims.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
At this time I would rather not say who it is.
Thanks Bob I know you are having your problems as well. I hope that you can work something out about it.

·
Registered
10,854 Posts
Looks to me as if a hole was drilled in that runner to weld a piece of aluminum to the inside.
I have seen some of the best looking welds which were not very strong and vice versa so, I hope for your sake, that is the case.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
[/quote] wouldn't put them in that position. I do not believe in pitting vendors against each other on the board. I think even with a signed promise never to reveal their answers they would still refrain from giving me complete answers.
Monstermiler

I didn't say to "pit" them against each other, re read my post. I said to ask them the professional opinion and what you could expect from their work. And don't throw their opinions around loosely with " they said" and "he said" all over the internet. They builders on here are "stand up" enough there going to give you accurate/honest answers I think many of them have proved that , time again.

I wish you the best either way.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I hadn't thought about that being a plate. If it was I don't understand why. None of the other ports have that. Those blisters are actually aluminum that has crystallized and is very porous. Up close you can see the grain structure.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I have to admit it looks bad but can be fixed pretty easily.
Just needs die grinded and sanded down smooth then sand blasted with heavy sand then blast whole intake again with fine sand and you will not even know it was there. I've done this many times prior to powder coating with results being
a - good as new look. - About $50 worth of work.

I don't know the vendor who did your work or more importantly what you guys discussed or agreed on..
The welds under runners that can;t be seen very easily may not be a big deal but i would have suggested the areas in the first four pictures to be addressed for cosmetic reasons.

·
Registered
272 Posts
imo i think i would have talked to the person who did the work and see if they can help to make you happy before you came on here and yellow bullit posting this for what just everyones opinion? nobody can actually tell you if the work is ok to run with out intake in there hands. i know it looks like ****, it could have been preped better for cosmetics before it was shipped back to you ill agree on that. what did the shop tell you that did the work and how are they willing to help you?

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
It does look bad, and leaves a lot to be desired. If I did that myself, trying to save a buck and not have it done professionally, I would expect it to have that appearance before it went public. Even I would have done some finishing to make it cosmetically look better. It was mentioned about being a "hogged out deal"... but this was not a beginner low budget project, done by someone like me with no prior experience on old junk parts for practice. That is not the type of work I would be proud of putting my name and reputation on as a professional. Hopefully, as already mentioned, it will turn out that the welds are strong and not leak. It would really suck to take the time to make it cosmetically better, only to find out you created a leak doing so.

I also would hesitate to just sending it back, as almost a year is a good deal of time for this type of project, only to be disappointed by the result. Its a tough choice, making it public and possibly being the bad guy here, or taking the hit on the cost of these parts that at least to me, appear to have some below par work done. I doubt anyone here would be happy to have this type of work show up on their doorstep, and if they would be satisfied, maybe they could offer to purchase these parts from you for the invested cost you have?

Tom

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
As mentioned be careful if you decide to clean up the weld areas. You might uncover pin holes & leaks from hidden air pockets in the weld bead. Last thing you want to do is make it look cosmetically better, but functionally worse.

While I'm not standing up for the guy, I would like to point out that It can be a lot harder to get good looking welds on cast aluminum vs the clean sheet/plate aluminum that a fabricated intake is made from. Also if the cast aluminum intake wasn't "out of the box" clean and had signs of some oxidation on the surfaces, that could also cause welding problems.

A used cast aluminum intake that has been run might also cause welding problems from impurities like oil, gas, or dirt that can be embedded in the pores of the casting. Sanding & grinding on aluminum with abrasive type tools (as opposed to carbide cutters) can also embed abrasive grit & particles in the aluminum that can ruin welds. Sand blasting aluminum can also cause welding problems if cleaning doesn't remove all the embedded sand/grit from the pores before welding on the part.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
If you haven't already, you need to contact the guy who did the work. There may be something going on there that you know nothing about and he will fix it to your satisfaction with many profuse apologies. Or he may be no good. Regardless, while I respect the need to vent about bad work, if you haven't talked it over with the guy responsible first, and he does make good on it, he won't be the only one owing an apology.
An example, at the shop I worked at last, we ported Harley Davidson heads. I did the best job I have ever done. Finish was as perfect as I think is humanly possible and it outflowed (flowed [email protected]" with a 1.94" valve on his SF600 bench) every set of HD heads I had done up to that point. But, the lovely black paint had begun to flake off, and after being put through the wash cabinet, more of it came off. Regardless, we were never in the job of painting parts, rather, leaving that to the owners discretion. This guy was upset, despite his mechanic telling him he ought to look beyond the paint and notice how well the heads machine work and porting was done, but he sent 'em back anyway. We had the heads stripped, and powder coated. When the powder coating wasn't good enough, we stripped them again and used the factory crinkle paint Harley uses. The guy still wasn't happy, so my boss bought the heads off of him. This guy badmouthed us so bad on all the Harley sites that we didn't get another set of Hardley heads for six months.
Now what has happened to you is a different matter because that manifold is crap, but I'm just trying to give a perspective from a shop that DID do everything they could do to make the customer happy.
Call him, give him a chance to fix it.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts