460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received a little bonus check from work yesterday, so I spent a few dollars on the Fairlane.

I ordered a set of plain smooth steel rims, with the correct backspacing and black powder coating. I won't need spacers anymore.

I ordered two new drag radials, 275/60R15's, and two new front tires, 255/60R15's. The Fairlane is going to look like the old school Winston Cup Fairlane's of the 60's. The Crown Vic HPP's on there now, are going on my Vic when I take the snow tires off. I ordered two new tires to replace the 16" drag radials on the rear rims. (Tire Rack loves me)

I ordered a set of Cal-Trac bars. Hopefully now I can get some traction off the line, and lower that 60' and 1/4 mile time. I'm shooting for high 11's in full street trim, pump gas, and 3844 lbs of mass. I did a 12.45 @ 115 with a 2.0 60' last Halloween, with alot of wheelspin and bouncing. Maybe with the taller tire, I may not have to shift into 4th gear in the 1/8th mile. I'll find out at the Bash. :D

I ordered a set of racing seats and a Simpson safety harness for the driver side only. I'm pretty tame on the street, so the lap belt will do for the passenger.

I couldn't do it yesterday, but Monday I'm going to order a Quick Fuel 950 carb. I'll be giving Lem a call for that. That should be the icing on the cake for my 521.

I hope I have everything done by the week of the Bash, so stayed tuned for my new look. :lol:

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Tom, I have a few pics. Haven't had much time except for a note or two here. :D

Last weekend, I finally installed the Cal-Trac bars and new wheels/tires. I have nice big 275/60R15 Drag Radials out back, and 255/60R15 T/A's up front. I had steelies made up with the correct backspacing for the rear (5.25"), so I don't need spacers to clear everything. I went for that old school Winston Cup look, and I love it! I had them black powder coated, so they should stay nice for a long time. I have to work on my rust spots next, but this is a rockem sockem robot muscle car, that sees plenty of street miles. I had to use the bottom hole on the bracket, because the middle one was smack dab in the way of the subframe connectors. Hopefully the bottom hole will be okay. It was shipped in the middle, because that's where they say a 66 Fairlane should be. Here's some pics. :shades:

All I have left to do, is install my new racing seats, carpet, and Simpson safety belt. I haven't driven this thing since Halloween night at Englishtown, so I need a fix real bad. :D Can't wait for the Bash! 8)

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Chris...looking forward to seeing everyone again at the Bash too. The aluminum ones from my Crown Vic were nice (see sig pic), but I was limited to a small tire. It looks normal now, and it looks mean. It doesn't look half bad without center caps either. (minus tire shine) 8)

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great to see you back John. 8) Mine is a little odd ball. The housing/leaf springs are from my 70 Torino Cobra, and I bolted it right in to the 66 Fairlane. The housing is an inch wider than the original 66 housing, so that's how I came up with the perfect 5.25" backspacing. I did trim the inner fender lip, to give me a little more clearance. I had 15" Weld Draglites before those Crown Vic rims, and I had to use a 1/4" spacer to keep it from hitting the leaf springs, with the same tire I have now. I ordered 5.5" backspacing which was too much. I subtracted that 1/4" for the 5.5", and that's how I came to 5.25" for my new steelies :D Whew! That's a mouthful..... :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
I like the cal-trac bars, they look super trick...that's a bunch of tire under that beast.I've got a 66 comet that was my 1st driver. i'm going to redo it soon. Cool car Pat!!!

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks again guys. I'm going to keep the poverty caps on there. I rolled out the carpet (literally :lol: ), after fabricating mounts for my new seats. The seat tracks have studs, so the front went through the floor okay, but I had to build up the back 2", and then reinforce it with more steel and gussets. All the reinforcement pieces hid nicely under the carpet, and I just cut four slits to expose the 90* parts for mounting. It was the only way I could get a washer and nut on the stud. Here's a couple more pics. I did mount the drivers seat, but it was too dark for a decent pic. I'll get some more today after mounting the passenger seat. The new seats fit great, and I have seat covers to put on them. I no longer will have to slouch in the seat while driving, because my big fat head would hit the roof with a helmet on. :roll: :lol: These seats sit lower, and I can sit normal while driving now. :D Here's a couple shots....

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Pat your car is going to be a class act now at the bash. If it is not fast it will look good doing it. :shock: :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You're right on the second part.....it will look half way decent. :lol: :lol: :lol: I'm sure I'll be the slowest again this year. :D I think not slouching while driving will get me at least a .1 or more. :lol:

·
Registered
510 Posts
Hey Pat,
The car really looks good. We should get the two old school rides together for a picture. There is a nice cruise at Chic Filet this Saturday at 1:00 until 4:00. Will be this way next Staurday, too. It will then revert back to the night time schedule. It was packed last week. Hope the weather holds out. Lets get together, now that your working normal hours, and of course, your Dad. Oh, also, you KNOW how I feel about the steelies 8)!

Tom

1 - 20 of 26 Posts