460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my car to VMP on Friday for test and tune. My car went a best of 13.0 @ 107, so I knew something was wrong. The motor in my pickup truck went 111 in a 79 Mustang, and I did a lot more to this one. I discovered that my home made throttle cable bracket only allows the cable to open up the butterflies about 2/3 of the way. I am truly a [email protected]$$ , and I have come here to confess my stupidity. :oops: :oops: :lol: :lol: I am going to make a new bracket in the right place and see if I can bust out a 12.99999. :shock: :lol: I deserve every [email protected]$$ comment that I get now. :lol:

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
where the heck were you pitted at? I was there and didn't see ya. Don't feel bad about the throttle cable bracket. My n2o wasn't working so I only got to make a couple of passes on the motor. 10.42 was the best I could muster :( Oh well, I'm still pleased the changes I'm making are in the right direction, I just want a good pass on the bottle :twisted:

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We were..

We were right up front at the first light pole when you come in the gate. I got there before 5 pm and was about the 3rd person in the gate. I made 4 runs back to back and put my junk back on the trailer. I was surrounded by enclosed trailers, so you probably rode right by me. We left a little after it got dark, and didn't see you run. We were looking for ya.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Cletus , you should look into an adjustable rod for throttle linkage and safety rod above your foot on the peddle so you can pull that throttle closed in case it hangs wide open. Don't feel bad about it not opening full tilt, I am sure you are not the only person that has done that .

·
Banned
4,325 Posts
I have to admit I have done it in the past and I know how you feel. so no reason to be so hard on yourself if you don't admit that you have you are just lying to yourself. I have even seen some pro's forget to set the linkage.

Randy

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Jeff how come your crew chief didn't notice that. :oops: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
LOL..

:lol: :lol: Unfortunately, I can't blame her for this one because I made the bracket. On the next one, she'll be sitting in the car while I set it up. You did get her hackles up when she saw your post. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: She said " You tell them I didn't have anything to do with that bracket !!!!!!!!!!" :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
440 Posts
Oh, now I don't feel so bad. I rebuilt my carb and threw it on, and could not for the life of me get it the idle down. After a half hour, I figured it out. I installed the throttle cable to tight. As Homer says, "D'Oh!"

·
Registered
708 Posts
Well, if it makes ya feel better,

I've bought two vehicles (at different times) at excellent prices because the owners said "it won't run right"....and it turned out to be a misadjusted/broken throttle linkage. One was hitting the dipstick tube bracket. :wink: Put another 100K on that Ranger before I traded it. Woo-hoo!

So, at least ya didn't flog the car to the nearest open wallet. :D

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Jeff only teasing her :oops: Glad you have a wife that knows what goes on with cars that has to be a BIG help :D I met you both at Windy Hollow.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well,,

Well, I fixed my bracket and with no other changes, the car went 12.2 @ 112. I think I'm getting somewhere now. If I can pick up 8/10s and 5 mph every week, I'll be kicking @$$ in a month. :lol: :lol:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts