Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have finally received my issue of car craft. The castings tested were in fact D3VE's. :evil:

After reading the article it is painfully obvious that...

...The primedia rags have their noses buried so far up mother edelbrocks behind that they have to come up for air every 3 minutes.

...The article was nothing more than a glorified advertisement for the edelbrock RPM castings.

...they did not even try to find any information on proper porting technique for the iron ford heads. (If you google D0VE porting instructions or D3VE porting instruction my website is the first entry).

...They did not employ standard porting proceedures outlined in previous articles that states the majority of gains to be had are in the bowl area just above the valve seats.

...They did not want the iron heads to show up the RPM castings so they did minimal port work. Whats more they did some work that actually hurt the flow they could have gained. Namely raising the thermactor roof bump, unshrouding the chamber wall and radiusing the chamber to seat on the short turn side of the valve.

We all know that home ported heads following my instructions usually net 300/160 to 170 cfm with small valves and 320 to 330 / 170 to 185 cfm with large valves. I have tested many a pair of home ported castings to come up with the above numbers as have others here.

The costs they outlined for rehabilitating a pair of iron heads seem quite out in left field to me considering the fact that I sell a fully rebuilt and max ported pair of D0VE heads for that amount shipped to ones door.

Finally the comparison was an apples to oranges test because they did not bother to use 2.19" / 1.76" valves, which the RPM's are equipped with. The RPM exhaust numbers are with a pipe and I have numerous D0VE castings that easily exceed 200 CFM with pipe.

I ask that all of you that have experience with these castings either home ported with no instructions, home ported with RHP instructions, professionally ported by RHP or anyone else and flow tested to email carcraft at [email protected] and tell them what you think of the article. Please send me a CC or carbon copy of the emails to [email protected] so I can keep them on file.

I would be willing to put up a pair of my large valve 345/200 cfm D0VEs against an out of the box pair of RPMs any day.

Lastly in my experience the RPM castings would be my last choice if I were to purchase an aluminum aftermarket casting. I have ported all of them, SCJ, P-51, TFS street and cj, BT and RPM and know who is who in the zoo as it were.

I am fully aware of the advertiser politics involved in the mag business but that does not excuse this glaring misrepresentation of the BBF iron heads.

8)

·
Premium Member
9,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Paul, I was so hoping you would see this post...

Paul Kane said:
Hey, I'm down for it.

Writing letters to the editor has been my hobby! Especially when it comes to setting the record straight.

Paul
You are more articulate than I am and I really want to barrage CC with a united front that basically says if you are going to print this garbage you will be held accountable.

Thanxxx

8)

·
Registered
927 Posts
I am not the most articulate in writing things like this and since I am not running iron heads wouldn't have a lot to say but maybe someone should point out that if they want to tout edelbrock heads fine, do it with a build up rather than publishing false info, because false info has 3 major problems that I can think of off the top of my head. 1. anyone that knows this stuff at all looks at it and thinks they are idiots. and 2. we spend way to much of our time trying to dispell myths and false hoods put out by magizine writers that don't know nothing. 3. It just makes them look stupid.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Scott, could we do a poll on how many sent letters?

Let's go troops. Even if you don't have flow numbers you can still e-mail them. Just send something like I sent below:

Your March issue on page 36 shows an exhaust flow of 132 cfm at .500. There is no way that can be correct. That's worse than some stock untouched heads I've seen.
You lose credibilty with articles like this. The article makes it look like there is no sense in even trying to port a 460 head versus just buying Edelbrock heads, which is absolutely untrue. Unless you post new and correct numbers next issue I am definitely not resubscribing. If I wanted to look at an Edelbrock ad, I'll just get out my Edelbrock catalog. Thank you for listening.

·
Premium Member
9,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Scott, could we do a poll on how many sent letters?

nickbay said:
Let's go troops. Even if you don't have flow numbers you can still e-mail them. Just send something like I sent below:

Your March issue on page 36 shows an exhaust flow of 132 cfm at .500. There is no way that can be correct. That's worse than some stock untouched heads I've seen.
You lose credibilty with articles like this. The article makes it look like there is no sense in even trying to port a 460 head versus just buying Edelbrock heads, which is absolutely untrue. Unless you post new and correct numbers next issue I am definitely not resubscribing. If I wanted to look at an Edelbrock ad, I'll just get out my Edelbrock catalog. Thank you for listening.

Thank you Nick, lets keep them goint to CC...

8)

·
Registered
526 Posts
Notice the $172 to convert to screw in studs

A more fair comparison would have been to compare the DOVE's that don't require that. Why? Because they're the king of scouting out junkyard finds, but they just happen to start with a head that requires more money to add guideplates. Coincedence? I think not. I realize some people have the D3's and there's nothing wrong with that but let's compare more similar heads. They used every angle to make factory heads look bad.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have sent CC this email...................Hi there. I just read your article regarding the Edelbrock heads and BBF cast heads, and just wanted to say "What a crock of @%$#. I have had several cast BBF heads with nothing more than a mild port/valve job that flowed better than the "E" heads. The comparison was not even on the same playing field with each other, and who ever you had doing the comparison should be booted from any further such projects, as he know's nothing about this subject. Not only was this a false representation for the potential of the BBF heads, but a blatant "add" for the Edelbrock head. There are much better heads on the market than the "E" heads, and potential customers would be much better advised to spend their money on a port/valve job on their BBF cast heads, than spend their money on the Edelbrocks. Just like every other issue of CC, this is just another unfair misrepresentation of the BBF, and it's potential. I am happy to announce, I have spent my last dollar on your magazine...

·
Registered
185 Posts
I sent a note to CC as well, although mine is a bit less aggrivated than those above. Hopefully enough of us send letters for them to notice their mistake and get a few printed. They don't need to do a follow-up story, just send the truth-seekers to 460ford.com and continue doing articles on how to get 5 extra horsepower from your small block Chevy.

·
Registered
548 Posts
This issue is my renewal one, don't think I will . I am tired of "camaro" craft & this just broke the camels back , f' em!

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Lem Evans said:
Email and complain all you wish . Vote buy not buying the rag .
I agree with Lem, don't buy the sh-t, and I DON'T.
But as they say the sqeeky wheel gets the grease.
So, I also agree with Scott, I am going to buy a copy and respond with my opinion.
They are Chevy, or sponser oriented, so not buy it will be good, but not as much as raising h--l with them.

Scott,
Can you include your email so anybody reading this thread, and wanting to send a complaint, they know how to cc you.

Thanks,
David

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.