460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got to the track and everything was going good.
One of my old mud racing buddies was there so we pitted next to him. I'm glad he was at the track because everyone else was a total stranger to me.
I got the truck ready to pull off the trailer, got in and hit the switch. It cranked a couple times and then nothing but the starter motor turning real fast.
When I looked under the truck to see what had happened I found the nose of my powermaster starter all busted up. It looks like a reduction gear let go and wiped it out. 1/2 of one gear was laying on the ground along with some chunks of the nose.

I just hope my luck is better the next time.

I'm going to try one of those $50 ebay starters this time. Might buy 2 of them just in case.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I busted the gear on a powermaster starter before split it right in half ,first time trying to fire a alcohol motor. Went to the parts store got a regular mini-starter (couldn't wait) and it worked fine. I was able to just put a new gear in mine but now it's just a spare.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Mike, that sucks. Go down to your neighborhood parts store (CSK, Autozone, etc.) and get a gear reduction starter for a '96 F250 w/460. They work fine and come with a lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I ended up ordering 2 new ford truck mini starters from DB Electrical. 2 starters incuding shipping was $117.90.

I remembered Joe Mayabb posting about this companies good prices and quality awhile back so I did a search.

Thanks to Joe I'm getting 2 for less than what I paid for 1 powermaster.

The starters shipped today. If they get here by monday I might go to the track next wednesday.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I ended up ordering 2 new ford truck mini starters from DB Electrical. 2 starters incuding shipping was $117.90.

I remembered Joe Mayabb posting about this companies good prices and quality awhile back so I did a search.

Thanks to Joe I'm getting 2 for less than what I paid for 1 powermaster.

The starters shipped today. If they get here by monday I might go to the track next wednesday.

Good deal, glad you are getting these small things done before you go rounds and get in the money.

Keep us posted on how it does Wednesday!

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
Bummer. Glad to hear you got a deal on replacements though. I've been running a ~95 F250 starter without issue for a while now. Bought it at the local salvage yard.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts