460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A customer of mine brought his 72 Pantera in this week for a valve adjustment on the 383 cleveland thats in this thing. I got finished, he came by paid me and asked if I wanted a ride. I said hell yea. I was just starting to get a little scared when the speedometer hit 150mph and then he let off, car was still pulling hard.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
I LIKE IT !!!!

I like it !!! :shock: You don't see many of those around. There was one for sale when I was stationed in CA. They wanted about 14,000 for it. That was about 1984 when I was in the Marines and made less than 500 per month. Might as well have been 50K. :lol:

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Hummmm, I wonder if a 460 would fit in a Pantera.......hummmmm?

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
That car is on my list of cars to own before I die. My wife's grandmother's boyfriend has one, but I haven't seen it yet. I wish I had the means to buy one back when they were cheap. At this point I'm gonna have to wait for the collector car market to crash again.....which won't be long in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Yeh, Carl.......I think you're right. When the housing boom fizzles, unemployment rates and interest rates rise, I think you'll see a corresponding shortage of idiots willing to cough up $300,000 for a '69 Camaro at the Barrett Jackson auction.:roll:

·
Registered
14 Posts
460 in a pantera

We have a local Pantera club and they regularly turn out for a weekly car show at PIR raceway in Portland,Or. I asked them about this and they say the 460 is too long.
I suspect that a 400 with a stroker and the new Cleveland aftermarket alum. heads would make big inches and lots of power. You would have to make a sheetmetal manifold, I guess.
Yeah, I know. The 400's a turd. Think about it. The 400 is a raised deck Cleaveland, right?

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
yeah, tall deck 351C.... sorta. It has a big block bellhousing (except for a few rare 400m blocks that had both small and big bellhousing). Yeah, I know the terms "small block" and "big block" are chevy terms also. 4V heads really come alive with some cubes under them. For a light car like the pantera, I think I'd still prefer a 351-408cid with the CHI 3V heads and a parker funnelweb.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts