460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finished installing my new front end this weekend, and all the parts I installed are here:

http://www.460ford.com/viewtopic.php?t=9592

My question is with the castle nut for the idler arm to frame bracket. If I tighten this nut like the rest of the tie rods, the arm won't move on the bracket (trying with my hands with the pieces off the car). Do I tighten it down enough to take any slack out and then put the cotter pin through the shaft hole and the castle nut? This seems like how the old one was, because the old castle nut turned easily when I remove the old cotter pin. Or, does it tighten down pretty tight (torque spec?) and the shaft turns inside of the idler arm hence the need for the grease fitting installed. Any help it greatly appreciated. I couldn't find anything anywhere about this, so I need some real world experience. The rest of the install went pretty well, except for the coil spring removal. :roll:

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Terry and Phil. I finally had a chance to go back to my Dad's tonight, where I have the car, and I pulled the idler arm and bracket off again. The threaded shaft is tapered on the idler arm, so I do tighten down like a tie rod end. I could have sworn it wasn't tapered, and that's why I was confused. :oops: The old idler arm was not tight, so that could explain all my extreme steering wheel wandering, along with my loose ball joints and tie rods. It's amazing this stuff didn't fall apart. Anyhow, with the castle nut tightened down, the shaft turns inside the bushing in the idler arm, just like it should. I shot some more grease in there, and I was able to swing it back and forth. I guess I just needed to step away for a few days and look at it again. 8)

·
Registered
608 Posts
well i'm getting old enough now that the power level is third as far as importance lol. brakes and steering went in my car first. i want to trade you fairlanes lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts