460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys I have been tearing through the threads. Im sure this discussion has been had a million times but I am going to ask again.
I have a 67-72 bumpside F-250 with a 460. On the rebuild it was bored over to a displacement of 472ci.
My carb was giving me problems and distributor was giving me more problems so replaced both. Edlebrock 1406 and OE distributor from autozone.
I had to redo the the timing and the sticker on valve cover says that timing should be set at 18°BTDC. Every thread I read everyone is lying between 10 -14°. Am I too advanced because when I connected the vacuum advanced to the carb it runs like crap and putters like crazy (advancing too much I suspect). The other issue I am having is that my power feels muted. Less response on the pedal and seems to rev without much push. Runs smooth and feels good but less power and it shakes at 65-70mph.
Two part question. Is 18° too advanced and should I retard timing to connect advance?How do properly tune my edlebrock to ideal ratios to maximize power output?

·
Registered
159 Posts
As far as the timing goes, I would try it in the 10-14 degree range and see how the engine responds. If it gets worse, you can always move it back.
I'll let someone familiar with the Edlebrock respond to the other question.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts