460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I recently acquired a flat bottom boat from mid 70s with what looks like original 460 and a points distributor I started with new ignition wires, cap, rotor, points, condenser, coil and starter relay including starter switch with new wires to and from
Voltage and resistance is good everywhere except sometimes we get spark sometimes we don’t connections are all good but really couldnt get it started it was like being 180 off but I checked and double checked firing order and no 1 TDC I finally pulled distributor and disassembled the little buttons that go in between the plates were gone so they were just rubbing against each other the whole thing internally was in pretty bad shape so my question is how do I determine exactly what kind of an upgrade will work in this motor

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've converted a few distributors over to Pertronix... both points & duraspark style. Pretty simple and inexpensive retrofit. Just pay attention to wiring and coil requirements. I have not had any fail (yet). Can also be used to trigger a 6AL or efi. The only downside is changing the curve. MSD is easier than an oe Ford distributor.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've converted a few distributors over to Pertronix... both points & duraspark style. Pretty simple and inexpensive retrofit. Just pay attention to wiring and coil requirements. I have not had any fail (yet). Can also be used to trigger a 6AL or efi. The only downside is changing the curve. MSD is easier than an oe Ford distributor.
i prefer the Dura Spark with the blue ignition box.
Half the price of the MSD- more reliable and will work great in a boat.
Greg

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input

·
Premium Member
9,032 Posts
Cur

Curious how you determined Dura Spark is more reliable than MSD?

Original DS boxes were pretty reliable with some notable exceptions.

Off shore boxes are crap.

DS distributors use the same style MAG pick up as the MSD. I've run a properly curved new DS distributor at over 800 hp.
MSD distributor offers no advantage on the dyno persey but shaft bearings offer longevity vs. bushings.

SJ
used 2b RHP

·
Registered
46 Posts
For the past 5 or 6 years we have had numerous MSD systems come into the shop with problems.
Msd doesn't seem to have a cure for these.
My opinion is since they were bought out by the money men about then all they are looking for is the most profit with the cheapest parts they can get away with.
In the 70's to 80's when Msd came out they couldn't be beat but times change.
Greg

·
Registered
394 Posts
For the past 5 or 6 years we have had numerous MSD systems come into the shop with problems.
Msd doesn't seem to have a cure for these.
My opinion is since they were bought out by the money men about then all they are looking for is the most profit with the cheapest parts they can get away with.
In the 70's to 80's when Msd came out they couldn't be beat but times change.
Greg
Good feedback.............

1 - 9 of 9 Posts