460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a '80 F-350 that I'm swapping a 460 into. The truck is a flatbed, dually, with a 4 speed and 4.10's (for now). This truck's main pupose will be towing, and farm work, with a decent amount of daily driving throw'd in there.
I have a clutch, but it's rusted to hell, and the flywheel's chewed up to boot.
Dad and I seem to think a single disc button clutch would be our best bet.
Y'all got a recommendation for a clutch kit for us?
Oh btw, engine is a pre-'79 internally balanced version.
(The one in my sig)

·
Registered
518 Posts
If you use a button use something like a feramic button, ceramic button , but do not use a sintered bronze metallic...... like a RAM. You will hate it. Very grabby, bad for trying to inch back to hook up a trailer or things like that. Most buttons are a little grabby but some more than other. I have had two different versions of these. They will hold power better than any other type of single, but...... grabbiness is the drawback.

If you are not worried about grabby...... then you can't go wrong with sintered bronze metallic. It will eventually chew up an iron flywheel though.

·
Registered
232 Posts
If you use a button use something like a feramic button, ceramic button , but do not use a sintered bronze metallic...... like a RAM. You will hate it. Very grabby, bad for trying to inch back to hook up a trailer or things like that. Most buttons are a little grabby but some more than other. I have had two different versions of these. They will hold power better than any other type of single, but...... grabbiness is the drawback.

If you are not worried about grabby...... then you can't go wrong with sintered bronze metallic. It will eventually chew up an iron flywheel though.
x2, I've been using one in my street/pull truck the second half of this season. It's very grabby coming away from a stop, but has taken quite a bit of abuse this year as I've been coming out of the hole a lot harder(45-5000). I'm kinda interested to see what it will look like this winter though.

-Jared

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Yeah, something that has a fairly smooth engagement would be nice for easy takeoffs, inching around in a hayfield, and backing up to trailers.
You say L&L has a kit; is it a metallic? Do they have a website?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My next place to go to was Centerforce. I've been told they're a bit pricey though.
If I went with Centerforce, what would be my best bet?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts