460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I bought some vinyl replacement windows to replace the single pane aluminum framed windows currently on our home. Our home has a brick exterior.

Since I'm not sure how to do this, I removed my smallest window in an unused bathroom to start with. I have the old window out and have a couple questions about the installation of the replacement window.

Pictures are worth a thousand words:

The new windows have four mounting screws (two on each side). When I butt the new window up against the drywall, two of the mounting holes go into the brick while the other two go into the void between the brick and studs.

What do I do about this?

My thoughts:
1) Use the window safe expanda-foam in addition to shims on each side of the window. But the exanda-foam doesn't completely harden and it doesn't seem like it would securely hold the window long term.

2) Cut two inches of the drywall out and set the window into the stud system a little. As long as the window overlaps the brick enough to caulk it, this seems like a decent option. But, we're replacing every window in the house and this seems very time consuming. If this is the 'right' way to do it, I don't mind. But if a better option exist, I'm all ears!

3) ???

My phone number is 918-760-8450. Feel free to call me to discuss. Given the circumstances (I already removed my old window!), feel free to call me anytime to discuss.

Have a good day!
Michael

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
pictures of the new window and its mount prolly help
Here you go:

From exterior...Window butted up against drywall on interior:

From interior...Window butted up against drywall:

From interior...Window pushed back a little to show gap between brick exterior and studs:

Have a good day!
Michael

·
Registered
379 Posts
i would use insolation stuffed in between the brick wall and stud wall.the foam stuff is ok but it will swell out the weakest point and make things not plum or square.it is bad buesness around a door or window if you use too mutch they will not open or close properly.

·
Registered
379 Posts
use wood shims to divide the distance of the opening as best as you can then check for plum and level.use 2 shims on each side if their is room and the same on top n bottom.then check to see if the window opens and closed properly.you will have to use screws screwed in between the morter joints...do not over tighten and check to see if it will open and close ok.

yes,stuff insolation in between the brick and wall.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Michael, on the few replacement windows I've put in out house, I took the trim off and measured the rough opening for the window. Got the new windows, and put them in the opening. Shimmed them and they came with screws approx. 2" long. I screwed them into the wood that makes up the rough opening. I used the pink insulation and packed all around the new window and then put my trim back. Used a little caulk around the window for a good seal. Hope that helps, Chris

·
Registered
379 Posts
the way he has the window for that opening is perfect.the windows are made to be universal some watt that they are not too thick and stick out passed the interrior wall.then you use a 3/4 or what ever thickness board you want around the sides flush with the interrior wall.then you use molding around the edges of that board.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I agree Larry, that is what I did after I got them shimmed in and insulated. Had to make new boards to go on the inside and trim them out. After you get one done, the rest will be easier. Chris

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
then you use a 3/4 or what ever thickness board you want around the sides flush with the interrior wall.then you use molding around the edges of that board.
Are you suggesting that I use wood to mimic the interior drywall dimensions?

The window does not fit inside of the drywall area because it (the window) is too large. There is not enough room between the brick exterior and the window to use anything more than a shim or two.

I ask all these questions because I'm still not understanding, but I greatly appreciate all the help and advice!!!!!

Have a good day!
Michael

·
Registered
379 Posts
a shim or 2 is ok just make sure it is plum and level as possable.

did i understand you that the opening is bigger on the interrior side?if so you will need to use wood to frame the bigger opening smaller.

·
Registered
379 Posts
how does the other inside window seals look in your house?do you want them to be the same as they are now?i am asking because you may have sheet rock in stead of wood showing around the interrior of the window?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
did i understand you that the opening is bigger on the interrior side?if so you will need to use wood to frame the bigger opening smaller.
No, the interior has smaller dimension than the exterior area. Currently, the window does not fit inside of the drywall dimensions. It only butts up against it. In order to get the window to overlap the 2x4 studs, I will have to cut some of the drywall out.

how does the other inside window seals look in your house?do you want them to be the same as they are now?i am asking because you may have sheet rock in stead of wood showing around the interrior of the window?
The windows in this house all have sheetrock that butts up against the window (on top and sides)and overlaps the window dimensions. At the bottom of the windows, there is a wood shelf. This wood shelf also overlaps the dimensions of the window some.

Please call me :)!

Have a good day!
Michael

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Okay I still do not see the mounting braket you are talking about,
I remod and build new homes for a livin, and all the windows that we put in brick houses set inside the brick, and nail to the interior wall that is sticking out about 2 inches further than the bricks

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Okay I still do not see the mounting braket you are talking about,
I remod and build new homes for a livin, and all the windows that we put in brick houses set inside the brick, and nail to the interior wall that is sticking out about 2 inches further than the bricks
There is no mounting bracket. There are two screw holes in the each side of the window.

The windows you're describing sound like new construction windows. Those windows have a mounting tab/flange that sticks out and overlaps the wall studs. The screws or nails go into the studs from the exterior of the house. Then, the exterior brick is installed.

Have a good day!
Michael

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Guys,

Thanks for everybody's help! I talked to a couple guys and decided that my best option was to rip some treated l2x4's and put in the space between the brick and studs (interior walls). Then, I toenailed that wood into the studs and screwed my windows to those pieces.

Right or wrong, I couldn't find a better option... I think it'll do the job just fine though ;).

Have a good day!
Michael

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
can you rip 1/2" or 3/4" pressed strips to make the interior opening the same dimension as the brick opening? from the pics it seems like the window and its tim fits nice in the brick. as far as i know (and as i believe 77mud is saying) you leave it out in the brick a couple inches, and then a couple inches are inside in which u screw it into those wood fillers (i mentioned) that would cover the opening gap in between the brick and rest of the house, letting you screw to something. then those filler peices will be screwed or nailed to the interior frame. then fill any air gaps with insulation, then caulk the outside.

rip those peices to the size of the interior top and bottom, and side to side......but outwards enough to reach the brick edge, so u will see no gap behind those bricks like boxing it in - if that makes sense haha some things no matter how many pics or explanations do not translate well through typing bac and forth!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts