460 Ford Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody ever Jet hot their intake manifolds? Getting ready to send in our headers and was thinking about having the intake done too, seems to me like it could help since it should keep it cooler. Any inputs?
Chris

·
Registered
10,854 Posts
Intake Manifold Coating...

Not Jet-Hot but, SWAIN TECH has a heat barrier coating they coat on the intside of the intake and a thermal dispersant coating they coat on the outside.
DART has similar coatings and TECH LINE does also.
I'm sure other companies have something of their own includeing Jet-Hot so, ask 'em.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good idea?

So is it a good idea or is it a waste of money? Any ideas of possible pwr increases?

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Jet hot an intake.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but doesn't jet-hot keep heat INSIDE whatever you coat with it?

I.E. on exhaust, it drops underhood temperatures by keeping the exhaust heat inside the pipes.

So, coating an intake would seem to keep the heat inside the intake; which would be exactly what you're trying to avoid.

It looks pretty though. :)

·
Registered
871 Posts
insulating coating just insulate - they restrict the movement of heat energy in both directions. Your manifold will stay cooler - don't know if it will have a noticable gain though

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Opens another question...

So if insulating coatings just insulate...will the intake really stay cooler if you coated the whole thing?

I would think it gets hot through metal-to-metal and oil-to-metal thermal conduction. I'd guess that most of the heat comes from the big surface area of the valley, and through contact with the heads.

So, to keep the intake cool, wouldn't you want to coat the underside of the valley area and the gasket areas and leave the other surfaces uncoated so it can dissipate whatever heat it does contain?

Surely it conducts more heat from these sources than through the other surfaces that just have air contact in the engine compartment...or am I wrong.

I don't KNOW, I'm guessing. Most people are going to coat the visible areas of the intake, which wouldn't help at all. They'd probably not bother to coat the valley area or gasket surface areas since you can't see them. If the heat conducts as I'm assuming, this would tend to trap the heat I think.

·
Registered
871 Posts
If I coated an intake I would do all but the machined surfaces. I would think conduction would be minimal compared to an uncoated intake exposed to hot air for the cooling fan wash. Again, I really do not think it would give you a lot of power as well as hot oil from the valley. Esp 1/4 mile at a time.

At a car show or cruise night it might be talked as being a power adder. :lol:

·
Registered
10,854 Posts
If the coating is done wrong or you use the wrong coating it might lose power but, if it's all done the correct way it WILL ad power; ask the NHRA Pro Stock racers why they go through the trouble to coat their intakes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.