460 Ford Forum banner

intake manifold pecking order

176K views 55 replies 29 participants last post by  maquone 
#1 · (Edited)
There is a great great sticky for cylinder head pecking order so I wanted to start one myself with the help of those on the forum regarding intake manifolds. Will people please add their oppinions on this subject and different intakes and where they should rank in the scale. Thank you tons everyone making this happen, it will greatly help young, inexperienced builders like myself that plan on a life of engine building and performance. And we won't bug the **** out of all of you with questions. Here is what I have so far.....

thanks again,

chuck

429/460 INTAKE MANIFOLD PECKING ORDER

NAME/RPM RANGE/PRICE
Tunnel Ram…..

TFS-54494000 R series A460 Tunnel Ram/4500-8500/$614.95----------Best for use with A460 heads. Can fit any family of head with adapter plates from Price Motorsports.
Weiand Hi-Ram/2800-9000/$359.95----------Can be used with standard production 429/460 heads. Port match recommended.

Single Plane…..

TFS-54400111 R series A460/3500-8000/$634.95----------Best for use with A460 heads. Can fit any family of head with adapter plates from Price Motorsports.
TFS-53400111 Track Heat/3500-8000/$399.95----------Can be used with standard production 429/460 heads. Port match recommended.
Edelbrock Victor/3500-8000/$305.95----------Can be used with standard production 429/460 heads. Port match recommended.
Ford Racing Single Plane Dominator/3500-8000/$335.95----------Can be used with standard production 429/460 heads. Port match recommended.
Offenhauser Port-O-Sonic/2500-6500/$200----------Can be used with standard production 429/460 heads. Port match recommended.
Edelbrock Torker II/2500-6500/$259.95----------Can be used with standard production 429/460 heads. Port match recommended.

Dual Plane…..

Blue Thunder Dual Quad/not for sure/not for sure----------Uses two 4 barrel carburetors. Works best with Blue Thunder Heads. Can be used with standard production 429/460 heads. Port match recommended.
Weiand 8021/Idle-6800/$219.95----------Can be used with standard production 429/460 heads. Cobra Jet sized port openings works best with CJ heads. Larger intake runners.
Edelbrock Performer RPM Air Gap/1500-6500/$342.95----------Can be used with standard production 429/460 heads. Best to keep intake charge cool. Larger intake runners.
Edelbrock Performer RPM/1500-6500/$239.95----------Can be used with standard production 429/460 heads. Larger intake runners.
Weiand 8012/Idle-6800/$185.95----------Can be used with standard production 429/460 heads. Recommend gasket match.
Police Interceptor and SCJ iron intake/Idle-6500/$150----------Can be used with standard production 429/460 heads. Larger intake runners. Cobra Jet sized port opennings.
Edelbrock Performer/Idle-5500/$229.95----------Can be used with standard production 429/460 heads. Recommend gasket match.
Stocker 429 and 460 iron intake/Idle-5500/$50----------Can be used with standard production 429/460 heads. Recommend gasket match.

These intake manifolds are in their stock form and unported.

At the top of the list is the tunnel ram style intake that is designed for high rpm hp and tend to be best for strip style setups that will see frequent high rpm passes. Tunnel Ram intakes give up tq down low and street friendliness for the unmatched flow at high end.

The single plane is best for a street strip style setup that will maintain streetability but needs the performance at the top end for a weekend trip to the races. Some bottom end is given up with this style but intake velocity and plenum volume is still kept at a reasonable rate to allow great performance in mid-range as well as top end.

Dual plane intake manifolds offer the best option for low end torque and mid range power. The idle quality tends to be a little better and fuel consumption tends to be a little better. Dual plane intakes may require a slightly larger carb to feed the engine efficiently. Plenum volume can be increased with a carb spacer to help bridge the gap to a single plane intake.

This list shows the top of the list being the highest flow and least streetablity. the bottom then shows the most streetability and best option for low end tq. Different combinations call for different intake manifolds and as the displacement goes up, so will the required flow. That said, they will all still tend to have the same characteristics regardless of displacement.

The prices listed are for unpolished finish so you can have some sort of idea what to expect for a price and if you are getting a good deal on a used piece. Prices are from summitracing.com for the most part so there may be better deals out there.

There are also adapter plates made by Price Motorsports that can fit any family of intake to any family of heads..........(read on)

courtesy of charlie evans

Yes, Price Motorsports makes some adaptors for the BB Ford. Their adapter that I am aware of, and have used, allows one to install a OEM oval port DOVE/CJ style manifold on A-460 heads. That's all.

I make adapters to install A-460 manifolds such as the TFS, on C-460 heads, and also another set to install A-460 manifolds on Pro-Filer 205 heads.

I also make the spacers required to install the FRPP C-460 intake manifold on Pro-Filer 205 heads.

Hope this helps,

courtesy of rmcomprandy

Charlie you missed this one,
Price also makes adapters to install a standard intake manifold on the later F.I. production heads.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
#7 ·
Your welcome. I found it (thread on this site) last week. Who knew that using the "Search" function would find such information! :eek: :rolleyes: :D

#11 ·
imo there is no "pecking order" for intakes... its whatever fits your application... if you run a small cam with a victor- its going to lose too much low end and the cam isnt going to allow enough rpm to get the port velocity up enough to bring it into the powerband where the intake works properly... likewise with a huge cam and a regular performer intake the small runners are going to be a restriction when getting the cam into the rpm range it likes... its all about the combo

#13 ·
This is why I have the rpm range listed as well as the orginization in streetability. No one will look at this list and think that a victor intake with the rpm range of 3500-8000 will work well with their truck peaking at 4500 and built for torque. This is a baseline to get people on the right track so they don't start chasing tunnel ram intakes with large chambered stock D3VE heads because other hot rods have them and they look cool.

I appreciate the encouragement scottjackson.

I updated, tell me what you think. it looks a little prettier......

#12 ·
True, but that's the same it is with cylinder heads. Not much point in putting max ported C heads on a stock grocery getter. But I think the pecking order list is a good thing. A lot of times someone may think, "I want an intake with more high rpm performance than a performer but don't know if a Stealth would be a step up or down from a Performer RPM".

#15 ·
I don't think there's much point in going into sheet metal intakes and such on this list. Kinda like including the A441 hemi heads in the head pecking order list. Anyone actually thinking of buying those parts doesn't (or shouldn't) need to refer to a basic list like this.

#19 ·
I understand that randy, again though, this is to get the average person into the ballpark for their intended usage. If it is for a vehicle that will see low rpm usage, it should be clear from the list and my description of the list that it is not effective for a single plane or tunnel intake. and it goes both ways, same for a street/strip engine not working well with a cj or performer intake. No person in their right mind should think that the tunnel is good for driving to work, the store, then back home, every day with stock heads, cam, and exhaust. No single manifold is pointed out as the best for any specific situation.

#23 ·
lol, randy, I wasn't in my right mind either. some would still say I'm not.

so I made the change with the blue thunder, but I had a heck of a time trying to find the other manifolds you mentioned. where can I go to find the prices and such on them? Thank you tons for the additions to the list, I'll get them on as soon as I get the info on them.

#24 · (Edited)
Sorry, I was upside down on the Port-O-Sonic, it was most liked for HP, not torque. Here is some real test infomation, made on a dyno.

I've included this page unchanged for the original as a service to the BBF community and the page dropped of the web from its original URL. I don't endorse the results and it is not my intention to plagorize the work.

BBF Intake Shootout!
Well, gang, here is the *legal* version of the shootout. I am prevented from publishing actual dyno results, but I'm going to list the intakes in order of WORST to BEST for torque, horsepower, and editor's choice "Best All-Around" 385-series intake. I hope you enjoy the results and you can make use of them!!!

All dyno pulls were run on my C9VE 460 block, bored .030" over, with C8VE heads (same as D0OE) with 2.19/1.8 Ferrea SS valves, Harland Sharp 1.73 roller rockers, and a Lunati flat-tappet camshaft (relatively mild, 06166 grind, 218/218 dur. @ .050" and .527"/.527" lift). The carburetor is your typical Holley 3310 off-the-shelf with NO jet or spring changes. Exhaust consisted of CJ manifolds, from a Torino (D0 casting numbers). I felt this combination best epitomized the "warmed-over" street motor most of us build. Any variations from the basic combination are noted (such as carburetor, most notably). The dyno was a Go-Power measuring from 1500-5500 RPM in 100 RPM/sec increments, that's about all the numerical data that I can divulge.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Best to Worst, for making TORQUE
Edelbrock SP2P [discontinued]
D2VE Stock
Offenhauser Dual-Port (Q-Jet, tested w/ TQ carburetor) [discontinued]
Weiand Stealth
C8SE Stock
Edelbrock Performer RPM
Offenhauser Dual-Port (Holley)
Edelbrock Performer/Edelbrock Streetmaster [discontinued] (TIE)
D1AE Police Interceptor (4300-D carburetor, 735-cfm)
D0AE Cobra Jet (Q-Jet, tested w/ TQ carburetor)
Blue Thunder Dual-Quad (tested w/ 2xEdelbrock 500-cfm)
Edelbrock Torker II
Edelbrock Victor 460
Offenhauser Port-O-Sonic

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Best to Worst, for making HP
Blue Thunder Dual-Quad (tested w/ 2xEdelbrock 500-cfm)
Edelbrock Victor 460
Offenhauser Port-O-Sonic
Edelbrock Torker II
Weiand Stealth
D0AE Cobra Jet (Q-Jet, tested w/ TQ carburetor) SURPRISE!
Edelbrock Performer RPM
D1AE Police Interceptor (4300-D carburetor, 735-cfm)
D2VE Stock
C8SE Stock
Edelbrock Streetmaster [discontinued]
Edelbrock Performer
Edelbrock SP2P [discontinued]
Offenhauser Dual-Port (Q-Jet, tested w/ TQ carburetor) [discontinued]
Offenhauser Dual-Port (Holley)

Editor's Choice
for Looks: the Blue Thunder Dual-Quad, but $$$
for HP: Offy Port-O-Sonic, good results and will fit under most hoods
for TORQUE: Weiand Stealth (NO QUESTION...hint, hint)
Best All-Around: Weiand Stealth

Well boys and girls, there it is in black-and-white w/ NO bribery or "urging" from advertisers. I'd like to thank those of you that let me borrow intakes for an EXTENDED period of time, my engine builder who donated time (after hours) on his dyno (thanks Chet!), and those who put up w/ me all hours while swapping intakes! Sorry for lack of pictures, we planned on getting them later but due to aggravating circumstances we just wanted to get the page up and visible to all who were interested in the results!!!

#26 ·
Adapters?

Yes, Price Motorsports makes some adaptors for the BB Ford. Their adapter that I am aware of, and have used, allows one to install a OEM oval port DOVE/CJ style manifold on A-460 heads. That's all.

I make adapters to install A-460 manifolds such as the TFS, on C-460 heads, and also another set to install A-460 manifolds on Pro-Filer 205 heads.

I also make the spacers required to install the FRPP C-460 intake manifold on Pro-Filer 205 heads.

Hope this helps,

#27 ·

Hope this helps,
Charlie you missed this one,
Price also makes adapters to install a standard intake manifold on the later F.I. production heads.

#31 ·
The Blue Thunder dual quad is a replica of a Buddy Bar casting done for the Ford TA program, one of which I had on a 429 in a 69 Mach1. That intake worked very well without a doubt. I had a pair of modified 1850 600vac sec. carbs on it and it had no problem turning 7000 and pulled very hard throughout the rpm range. Awsome intake when matched with the right cam.

#34 ·
intake pecking order

hey you totally forgot about the offy tunnel ram. it came already cj port sized and beat the weiland in cfm flow and horsepower. ill try and find the link for ya. and you also need to look at old motorsport a-460 intake that is shorter then the tfs one. it makes alot more torque and is good for the guys running under 500 cubes. we got a 470 cube motor that made 17ftlbs more torque with shorter intake and was still within 3 horse at 8500 rpm. just cuz its old school doesnt mean its bad school.

#35 ·
I don't know where you got your information on the old Offy tunnel ram intake, however I believe you are mistaken. You said you would try to find the thread, so please do.

In the actual flow testing comparison that Paul Kane and I did several years ago, between the Weiand tunnel ram and the Offy tunnel ram, the Weiand flowed more cfm and was the winner IMO.

#37 ·
hi yall ,
im having a heck of a time finding info for the stock iron DOVE 4 barrel manifolds good bad indifferent ? i have set of d3ve heads with stock DOVE manifolds wondering if its worth the effort to keep and make a good sleeper from ..

Is it any better than the standard stock 460 cast manifolds ? they look cleaner with better runners and still lower profile for those engine swap guys ..

like us who shoe horn one into a yota lol ..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.