460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings from the Oregon territory.........

Google led me here in an attempt to find a bb relating to a pickup I just purchased. I was looking for a place with resources on the good and bad parts of the 7.5, what to keep, toss and better low cost replacements. What I found was you guys are making WAY WAY more ponies than I anticipated. Alas, I will not be going anywhere as I see a metric ton of knowledge here that I need to absorb.

A little about myself: After giving up on funding a mech engineering degree mysefl @ OIT. I ran off and did a 6 year stretch in USN, all on sea duty (boring holes in water), as an Engineman. Yet after graduating EN "A" school I didn't turn a single wrench on a diesel for the longest time, instead I worked on boilers, fresh water distilling plants, air compressors, dryers, refrigeration units, air conditioners, water pumps, and every size hydraulics known to man. My specialty was a part of the avation hydraulics called RAST LAMPS MK III, got some seniority and them started training the younger kids on the stuff.

Following the NAV I worked 2 years at a concrete company as maint coord, wrenching on mixers, loaders, trac hoes, ect and then switched to plant maint (making the ready mix batch plants run, including set up and takedown of portable plants) I quit all that to start my own venture

Safe to say I understand most things mechanical, enough electrical to keep the lights on and have the obsessiveness of mearuring everything with a Starrett mic......(.0001) Retarded I know!! :shock:

Ciao--appreciate the time

Butch

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Welcome Butch, Read and smile. Glad to have ya. Rick

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
welcome, not a Navy guy, but I do work in a power plant and do the controls and instrumentation on the boilers. turbines, etc. You should find all you need to know and then some here.

S

·
0 Posts
Welcome Buddy!

Ret Navy here! I worked on Aircraft but studied to cross rate to drive the Marine LAC.. (Hovercraft) My Command wouldn't let me (Funding), but I did all the training on the stuff you mentioned!

Laters!

:D

·
Registered
176 Posts
When I was in the Navy, this was the only ship that could transport the LCAC,

Today, she sits on the bottom, off Key Largo...

Strangely enough, we tested the LCAC not far from where she is now...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Turbines, how did I forget turbines. I also have done enough wrenching on GE's LM2500 and the Allison K501-17 to get me into trouble.

Nice to see some OLD Salts :D A BT on a DE, now that puts the "Fire" in Fireroom (I didn't know the USS Merrimack was classed as a DE)

Anyways thanks for the warm welcome, good to be among brothers......... (you Airdales too) :twisted:

Cheers

1 - 9 of 9 Posts