460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
WE took this engine out of an AMBULANCE with 400,000 miles we found in the junk yard.

Was tore down,hot tanked,and checked for cracks,etc

Parts

I ported a set of dove heads Installed scj valves,ss. I'd say 3.5

Comp Cams solid lifter cam, not solid roller

MSD dist

Meling pump

PRO SYSTEMS 1150/1250 CFM carb 4500 dom

Victor 4500 Intake,ported

Installed big shot nos plate

reused the truck rods,new bolts

Reused the factory flat top pistons (was EFI) ,added little notch for PTV. ENGINE WAS STOCK 4.360 bore

Same crank ,3.850 stroke

Harland Sharps 1.73

truck pan,I welded in baffels

Hooker 429 460 foxbody headers

Ran alt,and factory waterpump

This engine was ran between 6800 and 7800 rpm

N.A.
RAN BEST 10.23 1/4 134
6.50 1/8

NOS
RAN BEST 8.97 1/4 152
5.78 1/8

@3065 LBS

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that one was fun

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
was a solid flat, I will have to get the cam card out of the file and look, I wont get a chance till friday to do this,If you want you can call me then,thanks

·
Registered
516 Posts
BOSS 429;

I read and reread your post, and I found it amazing that by reworking stock parts for a performance build, and adding the basic (carb, intake,cam, valvetrain, and headers), you were able to turn those RPM's and make that kind of power. That performance shows respect to both your skills and the potential of the 460. Nice post.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know it's an older post but what cam specs?

cam was a comp cam

solid lifter .649 .642 lift
270 276

108 center

this engine was built for a truck with efi,but at the last min it was stuck in the car,and had an intake change, this cam is not a NOS cam,but the combo worked very well with a bigshot nos plate under the 4500 dom (8896).

the iron cly heads(DOVE'S) WORKED very well,but that's what made all this work all the better. lots of welding,and grinding in and around the ports,and keep in mind this engine was in a good car that worked pretty good also

-Rich

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
how long did those rods last?

we never took them out, Not saying theres not better rods, just like Katies engine, it has truck rods, it will see a lot of nos next year, we will run it on nuts for a while first till she get use to it

katies build is on here also

·
Registered
59 Posts
This combination sounds pretty amazing. Any idea what those ported D0VEs flow CFM wise? I have a set I want to use and from what I can tell they will get me where I want to be with just a 466-472. I am also considering a 521 with some CNC ported D0VES, 2.25 intake valve and 1.76 exhaust...but the lower buck approach looks good too.

Great numbers man, very impressive for an ambulance engine.

Makes me wonder why I messed with small blocks for so long...

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This combination sounds pretty amazing. Any idea what those ported D0VEs flow CFM wise? I have a set I want to use and from what I can tell they will get me where I want to be with just a 466-472. I am also considering a 521 with some CNC ported D0VES, 2.25 intake valve and 1.76 exhaust...but the lower buck approach looks good too.

Great numbers man, very impressive for an ambulance engine.

Makes me wonder why I messed with small blocks for so long...
thanks for the kind words.

No idea on the cfm because no one wanted to take the time for me to flow them. We were in a rush to get the engine in the car.

We just tested Katies DOVE HEADED build last sat, ran well, I didn't do a crazy port work on the heads,in fact they aren't done the way id like them to be,BUT Katie got a little lazy as I was having her ruff them in for me because my time was better spent elsewhere.She didn't last long doing it,lol.In fact said shes going to pay somebody to do the next set lol.

Its a 466 solid flat,4500 carb,vic intake, 3.73 with a c6, I ran it first,then turned it over to her.

will post more up in the katies build thread in the next few days

How fast are you wanting to go? what car do you have?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hello.

My car is an 82gt hatch. Mini tubbed, 325 drag radial car with coilovers, full cage.Reinforced subframe, tied front to back. Partial interior. Bullet proof 8.8 w/ 4:56 gear, spool etc. Fats and skinnies. 4 wheel disk. Car has gone 9.80's with previous engine/owner.
I ran less than stellar 1/4 miles with the mild 302 that was in it when i bought it. Yanked it a month ago and started collecting big block parts.

I would like to go High to mid 10's on motor. I have a nitrous system with a separate fuel system for the N20 I am also looking to install this winter...so with the gas I am hoping for a high 9...car has chassis for 10.0's but that can be improved.

I prefer to run the car on pump gas, but it can be set up for e85 if need be.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hello.

My car is an 82gt hatch. Mini tubbed, 325 drag radial car with coilovers, full cage.Reinforced subframe, tied front to back. Partial interior. Bullet proof 8.8 w/ 4:56 gear, spool etc. Fats and skinnies. 4 wheel disk. Car has gone 9.80's with previous engine/owner.
I ran less than stellar 1/4 miles with the mild 302 that was in it when i bought it. Yanked it a month ago and started collecting big block parts.

I would like to go High to mid 10's on motor. I have a nitrous system with a separate fuel system for the N20 I am also looking to install this winter...so with the gas I am hoping for a high 9...car has chassis for 10.0's but that can be improved.

I prefer to run the car on pump gas, but it can be set up for e85 if need be.
sounds like a cool build,would like to see pics

1 - 20 of 22 Posts